1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How good are roto 66's and EB Slinkys?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tehbassist, Mar 18, 2009.

1. I mean the two of the best (if not the best) bass players used 66's Jaco and Entwistle; not to mention Billy Sheehan, Chris Squire, Geddy Lee,and John Paul Jones. However on the other hand just look at all the people who use Slinkys? Are these strings great because they are just that good, or their widespread-ness? How different are they from each other? WHY ARE THESE STRINGS SO WELL LIKED?

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    Ernie Ball did not create anything new, he simply saw a demand and improved upon existing products and found ways to better fulfill market demands.
    Rotosound did the same thing when they had Entwhistle spend the day with them in 1966 and the 66's were made.
    Marketing and Innovation
    So why are they mainstays in bassdom? Same reason fender, gibson, foldgers, maxwell house, tylenol, minute maid, oreo, and every well established decent quality product does well over time. brand loyalty through years of repetition. 66's and slinkys arent bad, and old timers used em back in the day and they work. well thats my take anyway.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I like EB Slinkys.

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    iagree.

5. My best advice for strings is you have to try them for yourself. Just because famous people use them doesn't mean they are the best(even Jaco:eek:)

6. I have used both and have no complaints - I think strings are a personal choice and you have to try different kinds and make your own judgment.

7. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Trying strings out can be expensive. And trying a new brand every time you change your stings is not the best way to test out strings as you may not remember what the last set sounded like when they were new.

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels for many years as I really liked the super bright aggressive tone. I eventually moved on to Rotosounds 66 stainless and really liked them but got frustrated with buying a new set and having corroded dead strings every so often in the package.

I always liked Slinkys but tended to prefer stainless.....until i bought my first Stingray. After trying various brands including DR, I have settled on Slinkys for all of my basses. I really like the tension, feel and tone of the Slinkys and they work so well on both my 4 and 5 string Rays.

I really like them on my jazz basses and my new P bass. They do tend to sound pretty lifeless once they die, unlike the Blue Steels which lasted forever, but the Slinkys have a lighter tension, are way smoother on the fingers, wear out my frets a lot less and are some of the least expensive strings on the market.

I may still experiment here and there, but as i only change strings on each bass once or twice a year, I am happy to stick with a brand that i am familiar with and know I will like.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I've never used the Rotos. While the EB Slinkys (I've used the Hybrids.) are not really my favorite strings, I don't have a problem using them. Good, solid strings but not as long-lasting as some.

9. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I agree with you, I'd like to try Dr Fat Beams, I have Lo Riders on now, and like them, but I still want to see what feels and sounds best on my Music Man Bongo. The EB that came on it wee nice, but I wanted to try Drs so I put the Eb on my other bass.

10. I'm using DR Fat Beams, Marcus Miller signatures, on a couple of my Jazz basses right now. They seem to be a nice soft string, and the sound isn't bright, even when new. The sound also doesn't seem to change that much with age.....I have had a set on my Squier VM jazz for nearly 3 months now, and the consistency of tone has been impressive.

Roger

11. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    if you like breaking strings...i suggest Ernie Balls...so I prefer the Roto's

12. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    For the record I played Slinky's from '95 to '04 and never ever broke a string, that's at least 6 sets a year for 10 years. In fact since I started playing 20 years ago I broke 1 string.

That being said I use a different set of strings on each bass I own. Basses even of the exact same brand and model react differently to different strings. To figure out what works best you have to try all different kinds. I have a bunch of bairly used strings in a box. The great thing about Talkbass is you can swap a used set to someone who wants to try them and have them send you something you've been thinking about trying but didn't want to drop the coin....

Looking towards a guy like Geddy who has a fresh set of strings on every bass for every show is probably not a good way to make your own decision.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've got the 66's on my Geddy - I find them quite GRITTY feeling to my touch...but then again, I just changed them out from flatwounds (Roto 77's)