Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how good are swr's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by linkin, Jan 6, 2003.

1. linkin

linkin

Jan 6, 2003
    i ordered a swr la series 15 bass amp an its still in the mail,i was wondering if anyone knows anything about them?

2. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i have not heard anything good about the swr la series. i think harmony-central.com has some beefs from users.

swr as a whole is a good brand tho.

3. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I don't know about the LA series. However, I used to have a Hartke 1 x 15, and a 4 x 10. EVERY time I went to play, the first thing I did was start adjusting the knobs. Never happy with it. I went to a music store and the salesmen told me to try out the Super Redhead which is just a 2 x 10. It totally blew away my Hartke stack. Needless to say I walked out with it. Best purchase ever!

4. monkfill

monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Sorry to say, I haven't heard much good about the LA series. SWR's Pro Series is very good. Clean tone, punchy, etc. etc. The Workingman's series retains a lot of the tonal qualities but apparently craps out sooner as you push the volume.

I played around with the LA 8 at MARS. . . still a lot of SWR tone at low (bedroom practice) levels, but didn't like to be pushed at all. I've heard of durability issues with the LA series as well, such as the control panel caving in around the jack where you push in your instrument plug.

If you're looking for a workhorse, you may want to do some more research before the no-hassle return policy expires.

5. 8mm

8mm Guest

Jan 7, 2003
    i heard the la 8 an 12 werent tha great,but i heard the 15 is tha bomb,good luck

6. Why would you order a bass amp if you didn't know anything about it?

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's exactly what I was thinking about. Generally one gets information BEFORE purchasing... :rolleyes:

8. 8mm

8mm Guest

Jan 7, 2003
    the replies hes gotten so far havnt had any info about the amp,maybe thats why hes still asking cause no ones knows anything about it :rolleyes:

9. i have a SWR la12 i keep beside my bed to practice on. i like it. nothing special, but it works good and the price was right. sound quality is good and it goes fairly loud. so i supposed the la15 will be even better.