1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How good are SX necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xanthyon, Apr 15, 2009.

1. thinking about getting an SX fretless neck to replace my current neck. Does anyone have any experience with an SX fretless neck? Also, I'm planning to get this one:
    http://www.rondomusic.com/product858.html

:confused: Can't tell if its a J or P neck? Anyone know?

2. It's a jazz bass neck.

SX necks are fair quality. The fretwork can be pretty crappy sometimes.

3. Well i would be replacing a home made fretless neck, lol. Would it be anything a bass tech couldn't fix?

4. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Ya, especially on these fretless necks.....it's almost like they are non existent!

:D (sorry, had to....)

To the OP, the necks are unbelievably good, especially for the price. And it is a 60 dollar experiment that you could easily re sell...

5. Hopefully not. With cheap necks you never know what you might get. I've had a couple of their necks and they were playable, but that's about it. I'm sure there are people on here who love them, but for me, I'd take a Squier neck over an SX any day if I had the money.

6. Well sadly the neck i wanted is sold out on Rondo :bawl:

Anyone know any other site to buy necks that wont break the bank, lol??

7. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The necks are very nice. However, they are quite a bit different in comparison to a Fender. The SX neck is a tad wider side-to-side, and is quite a bit deeper fretboard-to-back. In a word, the SX is chunkier. This is just for J basses, as I don't have any experience with their P basses.

8. i bought two SXs from rondo, the first had a pretty good neck, the second wasn't that great. Neither were horrible tho, and certianly very playable. In the end i swapped one neck onto the other and then bought a wenge neck from warmoth. Ironically, now i find the SX neck slightly more playable.

9. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    They are chunky, don't have any radius in them and the edges aren't rolled. But they will be sturdy. I have put Chromes on imy p-bass in the past and I hardly had to touch the truss rod. Staying in tune is also not a problem.

10. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Yeah my SX is much flatter than my Fender. Do you know what the exact radius is?

11. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Check Ebay. I just saw an SX neck there yesterday and there are always MIM Fender, Allparts Fender and Squier necks there. You could also buy a whole SX bass, use the neck and sell the loaded body on evilbay....

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I think the radius on an SX is 12 inch and Fender is 9.5 or something like that....I'll have to look, I could tell you about a year ago, but now my brain said "no way."

I know I actually prefer the Fender/Squier radius but I also love my SX's.

EDIT: Fenders are either 7.25 or 7.5......according to a post I found from a few months back...the SX are 12 inch on a Stewmac radius guage.

13. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Kind of like the ebay guy who couldn't remember the country of origin? :D

Yes, it happens...

14. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Um, I don't know what you are talking about.....:p

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The Team/SX fretless neck that I got for my frankenbass is really poor. Barely worth the $40 I paid. The fingerboard is uneven, so unless I'm willing to get a sanding block from Stew-Mac and sand it down I need to have the action stupidly high to prevent bad bad buzz.

16. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    I bought one here from a TBer. I haven't played another kind of neck so I can't tell if it is beefier or not. I like it and feels good to me.

17. Have you tried Eden?