How good are washburn basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pheonix316, Feb 23, 2001.

1. pheonix316

Feb 3, 2001
    You were all helpful on the rogue question. I thank you all. I am now looking at washburn basses.are they any good? I may get a 5 string one if they are good. Thank you.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know about the US made Washburns but the couple of Indonesian made Washburns I tried for grins in a store were just tragic.

Output was puny. Tone- what tone?

The control cavity had no shielding. Instead, it looked like Chris Fitz's cat threw up in there.

Playability? Not good.

As I inferred, the US made may be much better, (or the Korean; haven't tried them).
  3. lordigg33

Sep 19, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    well i have a brand new rb2000 4 string and well i have to say i was never too keen on washburns but man! this bass was great! it has the sound of a high priced bass and plays like a dream. its similiar to an Ernie Ball stingray. it is great for funk playing and slap style. i was thoroghly impressed by this bass. but that is my opinion ;)

4. They address a certain price bracket. The XB100 is Indonesian and is not the greatest. But here in Turkey, they are substantially cheaper than Squier. The RB series are $100 cheaper than Fender MIM here in Turkey, and much better value at the price. They are well made, but DO need new pickups, Washburns weak point.

But then, so do MIMs ÝMHO.

I have owned 2 XB200s in the past. One fretted, one fretless. The electronics were inadequate, and I replaced them, but on the whole I thought they were good entry level bases at the price.
  5. j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Yeah, Indonesian's washburn are bad...really really bad.....although I come from Indonesia :p

anyway, i used to have xb200 (korean)...they are not the best, but they....ummm they worse than my squier P-bass Japan made. And lot's worse than my MIM jazzbass.

try xb400 up series, they're much better
    Some US made come with bartolini or that's the top lines
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How much are you looking to spend? The USA Washburns are really awesome. The real low ends are the best. :)
  7. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I played a Washburn XB-100 a while back. It didn't really sound too bad, but the workmanship was just plain crude. Sharp edges abounded, there were drips in the paint, etc.

OTOH, I have a 1990 XS-2 which was also a low-priced bass, about $299 or so list. It sounds fine, now that I repaired the crack in the neck heel ;) . The fretwork is pretty good, the tuners are nicer than those on a Squier Affinity, and the truss rod works. It's no match for my MIJ Precision, but it's a reasonably serviceable instrument. Oh, yeah, the body's mahogany plywood.

I also had a Washburn B-60 for several years. This was Washburn's attempt at a Steinberger-type instrument, headless, small body etc. This was an excellent bass. The electronics had been replaced with EMG's when I got it, but the basic platform was good. This one was also Oriental in origin, but made of good wood, with a set neck. Of course, the original list was close to a thousand bucks.

I guess what I'm saying is that the quality is pretty variable, but some of them are quite good.
  8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I have a B-60 and you're IS an excellent bass! I've seen a few of these around, but never one like mine. It has red binding and red dot inlays on the neck. I also used to have a fretless B-60....
    sure wish I had hung on ot it...:)
  9. Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I currently own a Rb 2000 and I love it. The Humbucker is great,so are the active electronics,and it looks pretty cool to.I'd recomend this bass for anybody interested in funk, funk, or maybee even funk.

You can write on stuff and stuff.
  10. I have never been keen on Washburns, and everyone I know who bought them has ended up selling it for a bass they wanted originally. Look for used stuff on Ebay, you can find great deals there.
  11. I used to sell Washburns, so here's what I think. The USA ones are not bad, but I think you can do better for the buck. The Korean ones suffer from two main problems, first, the fretboard often has a hump or "kick" at the first two frets, and sometimes at the other end. Second, the pickups are OK, but the preamp is bad, noisy, wooly bass and brittle treble. With some fretwork and a decent preamp they will be OK, but why bother? Strangely, older Washburns can be pretty good, check out Bakhiti Kamalo's fretless on Gracelands.
  12. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Washburn isn't known for being a great brand, period, but I think that their USA instruments are up to snuff. I recently had the opportunity to test drive an XB928 and I have to say that it was the best 8-string I've ever played. The list prices for the USA instruments are outrageous, but you can find good street prices for them on ebay and elsewhere. Check around.
  13. I have no idea...having never ever played a washtub bass.

14. my indonesian xb100 is better sounding and playing and especially looking than any squire i've ever played. IMO.
  15. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I have never been impressed by any of the Washburn basses I've played. However, Baghiti Kumalo played his amazing fretless lines on Paul Simon's Graceland album with a wine-red mid-80's Washburn so they can't be all bad.
  16. well...either tastes or Washburn basses vare highly variable!
  17. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I've owned a few, including a bolt-on USA from the 80's and a late 90's US neck-thru. I don't like the electronics/sound at all. They play "ok", but the necks are just a bit thick. You can get them used for next to nothing -- they're far from a "deal" new, IMHO.
  18. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have a B-15 Washburn Bass for the last 13 years and I find this is a very versatile instrument.
    With Active EMG pick-ups, I have great tones and especially great for slapping. I think those American Basses were excellent and I would never sell that one but as far as their new Bass, I think to get something that's worth it, you would have to get their high end quality basses because for the low price range, Washburn does not seem to be there at all these days.
  19. In USA perhaps, but in the rest of the world they are a deal new. Don't forget we can't get MIMs for 300 dollars as you can in USA.
  20. Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Sorry Andy, I assumed Phoenix was in the US or Canada.