1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How good are you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Felken, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    I hope this thread doesn't devolve as much as I think it will, so prove me wrong Talkbass! :D

I want to know how good you are, and how it relates to the amount of time you've been playing.

For the purposes of this thread, "good" means technical ability, or chops so to speak. Playing fast, playing clean, playing with good taste, being versatile, knowing different techniques, being able to play in different styles, can you learn difficult pieces? etc.
    (Yes I know playing root fifth third is also good, but we're looking at chops today).

I know for a lot of people the natural reflex is to say "Ahh I'm not that good" and minimize their actual skill level. Don't be humble! Be objective as to how you compare to other musicians around you, and pros. No one is judging you here! (But don't exaggerate your skill either ;))

Fuzzbass, roccobass, Ellery and 3 others like this.
  2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    With over 3 decades of self taught experience I still have limited abilities but I've learned to accentuate my positives; tone, taste, & timing.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I’m carrot. Where’s my poll?

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I've never been able to be objective when listening to other bassists. I always hear them doing cool stuff that I can't or don't do. I've worked with lots of pros for close to four decades so I guess I'd say I'm competent in the styles of music that I play. There are definitely musical styles way above my pay grade, like jazz.

At 66, I'm as good as I'm ever going to get :roflmao:

5. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Good enough apparently

6. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Very good, but never good enough where I can't learn something new. A perpetual state, but a good one.

7. i've played blues since '63 and think I've got it covered pretty well.

8. I suck harder than a Dyson V11.

9. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I can hold my own in most rock, country, prog, metal, r&b, funk, and worship settings. Simple charts? No problem. Nashville charts? Gotcha. Need me to learn 40 ish tunes in a weeks time and play from memory? Can do. Sight reading actual written music? Major Achilles Heal for me. I haven’t read music (or really needed to) since I graduated high school in ‘98.

10. daveyo

daveyo

Nov 6, 2013
    Not as good as I want to be
    Probably in the beginner to intermediate level
    With a lot of potential to get a lot better
    Still having fun though

DJ Dru, Beff Juckley, equill and 8 others like this.
  11. Eli_Kyiv

Eli_Kyiv

Apr 7, 2020
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    By the test of BassBuzz I'm an intermediate player. That's how I feel, too.

Just go for it, jamro217 and Felken like this.
  12. I was a competent, gigging club player in my day. Since I quit gigging 10 years ago, I'm a very rusty hobby player, albeit with very good ears.

13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    Local level good..working steady for many years.

14. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I'm better than a lot of players, and a lot of players are better than me.

15. I'm not really sure since I have been playing original music for a long time now, not sure how good I would be if I had to do 2 sets of covers as a sub this saturday night.
    However, during all this covid I have been practicing the UB, sight reading, scales, chord theory...so I hope that post-covid I will be a little better than I used to be.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I’m about a six on a scale from yellow to frunkis.

17. Egregious.

18. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Inactive

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody notices
    I am amazing...I just wish my hands fingers and brain felt the same way.

Truth, I'm a pretty good bass player. To every one else. To me, I suck. But, I can play my bass. Been doing it for 22 years. I can do pretty much anything, effectively, and creatively. But, I still suck.

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I'm better than I was yesterday, not as good as I'll be tomorrow. :D

I don't try to rate myself. I judge my level of playing based on the comments of people I respect.

TH63, Mickey666, Thundertips and 9 others like this.
  20. Treblefree

Treblefree

Apr 8, 2016
    Pretty decent I'd say about myself.

My main limits are self induced by the music I have gravitated toward. A Jazz bassist would school me all day long because I've never tried Jazz and although I appreciate it, I really don't care much for it. I would also get schooled all day by the pop and slap guys. I do actually like that, but have never really tried it or practiced it at all. I might pop or slap on a trashcan ending and that's about it, but I do think it's cool.

JeezyMcNuggles, jamro217 and Felken like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021