Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How "good" are you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Jul 24, 2005.

1. I'm sure most of us here are musicians that realize there is so much more to the craft of making music than we are currently proficient at doing. In other words- we all know we can be better. But where do you think you're at as far as your abilities?

I'm a hack. It took me a really long time to get going- and I started around 9-10 years old. It really wasn't until I started playing guitar that I started playing with people. I really think I was at my creative best when I became a bass player for the second time. I wrote the best lines, they were cool lines in and of themselves, but they didn't intrude on the songs. I still think of myself as a hack, but an experienced hack. I've been on a plateau for a long time- and I'm competent in what I do- but I would like to learn more of both the bass and guitar.

2. I'm a long time guitar player recently turned bass player and I feel like I suck most of the time. Then I go play with some people who have not been playing very long and I gain some perspective again! You're right... we all have a long way to go no matter where you are and that's what I love about music. It's a life-long journey. There are lot's of better players out there than myself but I love what I do and I get better as I go along. Playing with people is where it is at. I get challenged consistently when I play with other but by myself at home... even to a click track, I don't get nearly as challenged.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. I'm "this" good.
    (holds arms above head and spreads them really wide)

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    how good am i?

better than you

;)

no seriously, i think i am average. i do what needs to be done
    and i add a little flare.

but believe it or not, i think i was better when i began. meaning like the 1st year.

its kinda hard to explain why... something like: when i first began, i didn't take lessons so i had to teach myself everything. and the stuff i played (and tried to play) was not easy for a beginner. sure i messed up a lot, but there were a few times when i'd play stuff almost perfectly. now that i am more experienced, i stick and play with what i like and what my band does. there is not much expansion needed.

but when i was just playing by myself the first year, i was playing everything. and i think the only was to get better is to try to play what you can't until you do. and i did. now that my band has broken up, i'm venturing back into that area, but it's hard cause it's more than what i was used to, which is one of the reasons why my next band is gonna be more difficult and challenging on bass.

i hope that made sense and just doesn't seem like a ramble.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Depends on who i'm playing with. E.g. i play with a church band [some great pop & classic rock players] where i feel like i play pretty good. When i did the Purdue Summer Jazz Band-talk about a reality check. Initially, i felt like "holy crap, i really suck". Compared to the others in the band? Yeah-i wasn't so hot.

Overall? I'd like to think that i'm advanced for my age, however, there's plenty of cats right about my age that are faaaaaaaar better than i am.

Short answer? I'm good enough to have played the gigs i have. :bassist:

7. Some tell me that Im a good bassist, but I veiw myself as good enough to get a gig done. There are many bassists far better than me, and there are bassists worse than me.

My strengths: I usually know what fits a song, and I can play in the pocket. I also do my best to be as professional as possible. Im also (what I would consider, very creative)

My weaknesses: I do not have amazing chops. I would fail horribly in a gig setting that needed slap, tapping, etc. I like the bass on stage to be LOUD. I really think im a soundmans nightmare.

8. Tell me about it!
    It's really hard to say. Because compared to most bassist I know in my area I am very good. You see, there are so many bassists that really suck, who doesn't take their instrument seriously and never practise. However, I actually do suck. My sight reading sucks, my walking is even worse and I doesn't even swing! Compared with my teacher, I'm terrible.

Personally I feel that I suck.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I don't think I'm good enough to play at a gigging level, especially jazz. I make too many mistakes. My technique can be improved alot. I think my strong point is improvisation, but even that I'm not good at.

10. I guess I'm better than some players and far worse than others.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure... ;)

11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I feel like I'm a complete beginner. I started playing just over 3 years ago. I've never played out at all as a bassist. Though I some basic stuff like blues forms and such I only know a handful of songs and most of those I don't know note for note.

I finally hooked up with someone to jam with who is way better than I am. Now I just have to wait until my foot heals and I can drive again so we can jam. I figure once I've got some basement playing under my belt I'll head out to some local blues jams and play in front of a crowd.

12. I hate grading myself as a bassist. I always think that I could be doing a lot better (which is the truth). But I gig maybe about 5-6 times a month and other musicians always compliment me (and it's embarrassing) :oops: . I get together every 2-3 months with other musicians to jam (and party) and people are always wanting to jam and have me sit in with their band.

I will meet other musicians I have never met before at either clubs, musician meetings, etc. & when they here what band I'm in they will say something like "you're the bassist in THAT band. DUDE, you smoke!!" (and I get humbled and embarrassed again). :oops:

It's kinda cool actually getting complimented but I feel I fall somewhere in the middle as for skill and ability. I know my strengths (timing, tone, groove, less is more) and weaknesses (slap, tapping).

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm as good as I should be with the time and effort I've put into the craft. And I aim to get better as I go.

-Ray

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If Brendan answers to this thread, I'm whatever he is +1.

15. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Good enough to be in 4 bands and have people fight over me :D

j/k

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    from scale 1-10 i am nagative 10

Could be worse... i could think i am positive 10 which means that i really was nagative 20... Every person who thinks that they are best and on scale 1-10 are the 10+ are usually the worse players ever imho :)

17. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    Solid for my needs, at least. My write-up would almost be like bassguppy's (subsitute 3-4 gigs/month apart from his 5-6).

In addition, I keep getting better and better, but I wouldn't be where I am without some highly-influential early years. I started playing at 12 in Chicago, during a time when all the kids thought "classic/blues/soul rock" was still cool and rap s*cked (early '80s), didn't care how big your amp was or what you played, and people actually knew what a bass was since it was more dominant/noticeable in popular music at the time. Man, what a time it was. I developed my playing by listening to all the rock stations each night and playing along. I picked up everything by ear, including tons of scales, patterns, walks, etc. Although now my ear is very strong, I still have some distance left to cover with theory. Otherwise I can pretty much pick up and play most rock and blues, with jazz being my weakness and area for development.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Good enough to play what I play very well. Good enough to be recognized for that.

When it comes to playing in other styles?

Not so good, and not so interested in spending the time to figure them out.

19. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    They're breaking down my door...

20. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    My performances range between C- and B+, and I'm usually pretty happy in that range, especially at the top of it. I had a B+ show today and it felt good. I went to see a band on Saturday that had an A+ bassist and it was really humbling. He was playing many of the same covers I do, but with more tone, creativity, taste, and groove than I have in me. I should track him down and ask him for lessons. Or I could just stop going to see those A+ cover bands, there are plenty of others that are at or below my level . . .