Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How good do you have to be to be in a band?????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bongo499, Jan 31, 2005.

1. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    I was talking to a friend whome started the bass about 6 months ago but has been taken it seriously and wants to start a band but he doesnt know if he is good enough... he doesnt reeally know any theory exept the names on the neck. Im takin opinions on how good you have to be to be in a decent band that plays covers. I told him that he should start a band because thats the best way to learn but please list your opinion. :) :eyebrow: :crying:

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The answer is "just good enough".

It depends on the demands of the material, and the caliber of the other musicians. If he can do it, if he can get the others to have him in the band, then go for it.

Playing in a band is an excellent way to learn your instrument and improve your playing.

3. I think you only need be vaguely competent to play in a band. Practicing and playing with other people is what makes you good.

However, wait with playing out until you get somewhat competent.

4. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I concur with the the two posts above. It doesn't really matter how good you are now, once you start up a band and begin rehearsing together, you'll get much much better.

5. has he heard pop-punk-rock music?
    he should know by now, you don't need a lot of talent to suceed in a band...look at blink 182 :D

6. fatdawg

fatdawg

Sep 7, 2004
    Plus I think that it stinks when bands play other people songs trying to do it exaclty like they did it on the recording. Original spices are what make the recipe nice to listen to.

I agree that you only have to be as good as the music demands of you. Playing with other people is a major boost to a young players learning curve. Playing with as many people as possible is what makes even the best, better.

Just tell your friend to hook up and throw down as hard as he can. Only good things can come of that. Maybe not for the band, but at least for his playing.

F

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm decent, but I've had a relaly long time to learn my theory and stuff...

And I mean, I can get my own little rhythem going to what my friends are playing and well, the root note always works when all else fails

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Bingo! This foo has it.

You don't have to be good at all. I decided to start playing bass so my friends and I could get a band together when I was 16. We all sucked and at first I didn't even know what notes were made when I fretted where and whatnot. However, we all learned and improved together as a band. It was a lot of fun and we eventually played a few parties and a talent show. It was a small town so we were pretty much the only rock band in our school.

brad cook

9. I agree, Blink 182 is a great example of not needing much musical talent to be in a band. The true answer is, when you feel you're ready. If you are content with your skill...you're ready. But like the others have said, playing with others helps a lot.

10. I'll add to the pile. He only needs to be able to keep up at this point. Once there, he should get better exponentially (at least that's my experience).

Mike

11. if you do a search you'll find that question was answered...

...sometime around 1977-1978.

But seriously, for me it WAS answered around then by these guys:

[​IMG]

you don't have to be a virtuoso to be in a band. just have something to say, play within your abilities (most of the time) and make it sound good.

12. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i suck and i was asked to be in 3 bands before jsut because they needed the low end and i was recently asked to be in 2 bands.. so in total iv been asked to be in 5 bands even thoug i suck :p

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'll illustrate with a joke.

A kid begs his dad to buy him a bass. The dad agrees, as long as the kid takes lessons.

The kid takes his first lesson, and when he comes home his dad asks him what he learned. He replied, "I learned the notes on the first five frets on the E string". The dad nods in approval.

The following week, the kid takes his next lesson and when he comes back, his dad asks what he learned this week. The kid replied, "I learned the notes on the first five frets on the A string". The dad nods in approval once again.

The next week, the kid comes home late reaking of booze and cigarette smoke. The dad looks at him suspiciously, and asks "Why are you home late? Did you even go to your lesson?" The kid replies "I couldn't make the lesson today. I had a gig"

14. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    You don't have to be that good. Tell him to look at the Ramones. They weren't the best musicians, but they rocked. I Just saw the documentary 'End of the Century: the Story of the Ramones' - excellent movie. Dee Dee was a riot.
    Johnny has a good quote about not playing difficult/challenging music or extended guitar solos because to do so would mean that he would have to practice. :smug:

HEY HO! LET'S GO! :bassist:

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can shed all day...take lessons 'til the cows come home, etc

IMO, the best lessons learned are on the bandstand playing with those who are 'better' than you.
    So, if one doesn't have an ego, one can soak up a bunch of information for free.

Back in my day, it was..."Keller's got a bass, he's in".
    Trust me, I couldn't play, couldn't tune, didn't know songs, etc.
    Swim or drown.

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    +1000 :D

that's the best story ever

well my 1st gig was a few months after starting lessons..........

best thing i ever did was start playing with other people from day #1. i was also fortunate enough that the second band i was in was with players waaaaaay above my level. i still owe todd and bob big time for giving me a education a la "trial by fire"

in fact this year we are having the "Uncle John's Jug Band Reunification Tour" a 20 year reunion. :D

17. I have similar stories to those above. Except that I also played with guys in genres that I wasn't a fan of just so I could get practise with more experienced musicians. I haven't touched punk or anything like it since, but I just got my first bass, I wrote a few songs with guitarist friend and eventhough it was so simple, it did help my timing immensely playing that music.

Then another of my friends started playing guitar soon after. He and I then went on to learn a lot together, through his musical knowledge from other instruments and my experience of playing with others we put together quite a lot of really decent music and are now both quite talented (but unfortunately too lazy to go beyond playing together).

Whether its a band or otherwise, playing with someone else is also going to speed up your learning.

Leigh

18. HAVE YOU HEARD SOME OF THE BANDS ON THE RADIO??? NOT VERY GOOD. I THINK THE "JUST GOOD ENOUGH" IS ABOUT RIGHT.

19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Ramones comment is right on.

DeeDee always claimed that in the early days Johnny had to tune his bass AND show him where to put his fingers.

20. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    All great advice!

I'd only add to it by saying you should try to get something out of playing with other musicians. You'll learn to listen to the other instruments, and most importantly, the interaction with the drummer.

Cec likes this.