Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How good is it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rakelly3, Mar 14, 2003.

1. rakelly3

rakelly3

Mar 14, 2003
    My group is thinking about getting a bass guitar for our double bass player, for transportation convenience and faster playing. I play mandolin and am new to the bass realm but was wandering what yall thought of the epiphone el capitan 5-string cutaway? It looks about our price range. Thanks - oh, and by the way, if any of you are lookin for a 2nd ins. the mando is awesome!:D

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I've got an Epiphone El Capitan 5er, and I love it. The only problem I've had with mine was a lot of fret clacking on the lower strings, no matter what guage I switch to...I'd recommend a fretless if you can find it, but the bass itself sounds great to me.

3. rakelly3

rakelly3

Mar 14, 2003

Wht are flat wounds, ando ho do you string the bass with them? Thanks for the responses.

~James

4. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Flatwounds are strings that are flat:D
    They feel like the double bass strings as opposed to the roundwounds which are more like guitar strings, Flatwounds have a more mellow and smoother, more bass sound with less highs then thround wounds, roundwounds come in nickel or steel (some are nickelplated steels) nickel has smoother fell and more mellow tone than the steel. You string the flatwounds the same way you string other strings. I would recomend you check out a godin acoustibass or a carvin, they are in the similar price range as the El capitan (I think)

Good luck:D :bassist:

5. What kind of music do you play? maybe with a better idea of what style(s) you cover than maybe we could narrow you down to the best bass possible.:)

6. rakelly3

rakelly3

Mar 14, 2003
    We play mainly bluegrass, with some newgrass/celtic/classical.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you can stretch your budget a little further, I highly suggest you look at a Tacoma Thunderchief, too.