Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How good is Luthite?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While I'm far from a traditionalist, I was skeptical when Ibanez introduced the Ergodynes. I'm very pleased with my Steinberger and my Zon, but Ibanez fell out of favor with me when they introduced the Soundgears, which I find inferior to their Musician, Studio and Roadstar serieses not from a design standpoint, but in terms of construction quality.

The fact that Cort started making basses out of Luthite didn't help, because Corts aren't exactly known as great quality instruments. The only thing is, now that more and more people are playing these Luthite basses and they've proved to be a viable, I'm beginning to wonder if they're worth checking out.

Ideally, I'd like to have two identical basses, one made out of wood, the other out of luthite, to figure out how good they are. Since that's next to impossible, I'd just like opinions from luthite bass owners.

So, how good are they?

Will C.:cool:

2. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Big Wheel,

I have a Luthite Ibanez Ergodyne and it always seems to create a nice heavy and deep sound and it is good with distortion and a grungy type sound. I record all my works in progress in wave format directly into the computer in digital sound and the Ergodyne always out performs my Peavey on my heavier sounding grooves. It really does have a mean sound to it. But when I need a "happy" crisp or bright tone I always use my wooden Peavey G-bass. That's probably the only thing that could save the Edb from being sold though. It has some construction issues. The Luthite and the pickups may be the only thing that are worth a damn on that bass. IMO wait until some other better manufacturer makes a luthite bass. Mine's got issues. I'd give an 8 for sound and a 5 for construction. But then again, what do i know? I will say I liked Ibanez's a lot; until I actually tried other companies' basses. They're really good starter basses because they're easy to play and they're small.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well.. My Cort Curbow is as Bright as the sun.. It is luthite made.
    The thing is that the EDB Pickups and preamp SUCK. thats why it doesnt sound so good.
    My Luthite Curbows KICK ASS.

4. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    It must just be me then! :)

5. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I have an ibanez ergodyne too and I agree with Freddyland, the sound is very dark and thick. The thing I hate is that on mine the sound past the 12th fret SUCKS! there is absolutely no high end tone, it is more like a "tink". There is also a small volume decrease the higher the notes you play. This is probably because of the pickups or preamp more than the body though. Overall, my ergodyne sounds decent, but I would MUCH rather play a real wood bass. Maybe my opinion would change if i tried a higher end luthite bass.

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think the problem is Ibanez, not luthite. My Cort Curbow is also very good; the sound is pretty versatile with the 3 band eq. Also, BassPlayer Magazine said that the fretless Cort Curbow sounded surprisingly "woody".

I'd be interested to know what advantages, if any, luthite has over wood in the manufacturing department. Is luthite much cheaper to make than wood?

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Not only cheaper is to use Luthite instead of Wood..
    The factory can make ANYTHING with Luthite..
    I mean.. They can even shape it like anything made out of plastic.
    Imagine a Ball , a lamp, a CD Rack, so.. Now put that images onto a bass...
    Upps.. You Got the new Ibanez AFR reborn.. heheheh..

8. Cornbread got it, the problem is not luthite, it's Ibanez. As was previously stated, Ibanez made excellent basses with the Musician and Roadstar, then went down the tubes, I suspect because they stopped making them in Japan.

9. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    Yeah and lucky me, my first two basses were a soundgear and an ergodyne. What did I do for the gods to curse me! FatJohny you're right about the beyond the 12th fret thing. It's like opening up the doors on an old piano and strumming the strings. Just crummy! By the way you're in Ohio, have an Ergodyne, and play with Peavey amplification. That's sounds eerily familiar. Where are you at in Ohio? By the way, someone called me freddyland. That sounds a lot cooler. Maybe I'll change my user name.

10. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Anyone have a luthite bass they like?