How good is Nikki Sixx as a bassplayer?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BrandonBass, Jul 5, 2006.

1. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I kinda like him becaue he has one the coolest hair and image in the rock world. Of course hes no cliff burton or steve harris, but I can barely hear his bassplying in the crue's songs...opinions?

2. I think he's a knob, and Motley Crue are pretty much just a crappy generic hair metal band stuck in the 80s.

And he should lay off the eye shadow.

But as a bassist I think he's pretty boring.

PMagers, tindrum, GregC and 1 other person like this.
  3. He's pretty much standard rock bassist fare. Plays the root steadily, but that's about all. Bands like the Crue are all about the guitar and vocals, and, most of all, the image.

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    With his amateurish techniques, how does he write those kickass songs?

5. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    I dont think the two are connected... Crazy Crazy Nights is one of the greatest pop/rock stadium singalong songs ever but no-one rates Gene Simmons as anything but average as a bass player

6. "the coolest hair and image in the rock world" eh?:eek: :eek:

You really should get out more.:D :D :D :D

tindrum, GregC and ppiluk like this.
  7. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Actually, back in 82 he was the reason i started playing bass. He's not a fancy player by any means and compared to other bassist from that era (i.e. harris, burton etc) he's pretty simple, but he is solid and writes some great songs.

Great timing, always in the pocket and plays for the song.

Anthony D Gattuso Jr likes this.
  8. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    For the genre that he was in, he was perfect.

Would I call him to sub for a jazz gig?

Lawd no!

But he knew his role, and he fulfilled it. Crue songs do not require Wooten-esque stuff or anything. That is a whole different thing. Apples and oranges, ya know?

P. Aaron likes this.
  9. Yep - dat's de fact, Jack.

Like Gene Simmons of Kiss, he has the 'rock-star' thing down. He knows how to put on a "great" show and part of that show includes playing some pretty simple bass parts. Some may find songs like "Live Wire" slightly challenging only because it is kind of fast - but otherwise, great stage presence, a knack for writing a hooky hair-metal song, less-then-impressive, but adequate skills on the 4-string. I don't think he is losing any sleep over the fact that he can't play on the same stage as Wooten.

EDIT: By the way - if you were interested in opinions on his skills wondering if he is one to emulate I would say, again, like Gene - emulate ONLY if you are trying to become an actor/performer and are not all that interested in being a musician.

10. Didn't Bob Rock ghost a lot of his lines in the studio?

11. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    No, He played on Time for Change on the Dr. Feelgood disk.
    Only one track.

12. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    heh, i wanna hav his stage presence and hav mad skills too. like tetsu of l'arc en ciel

13. Having stage presence and skills will take you far. Good goals to have in mind. There certainly are things to be learned from Nikki Sixx - he didn't get the notariety he has for no reason. But anyone who thinks his example is one to follow to become a 'bass player' is trying to get up the wrong, drug-addled groupie's skirt... er, trying to inject some bad junk into their veins... uh, puking behind the wrong dumpster... ;)

14. The only thing I remotely like about Nikki Six is that he plays a thunderbird! I just thought I'd mention that Tommy Lee is a wanker. Sorry for the french but thats the only word that can sum him up.

tindrum likes this.
  15. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    He was in Crue. Therefore, he's cool as hell. Not an amazing bass player, but he did his job and did it with abundant enthusiasm.

16. Motley Crue = Cool As Hell???:confused: :eek: :confused:

Seriously, am I missing something here??:eyebrow: :eyebrow:

17. I wanna say he's not a great bassist but when I think about it, he is the perfect bassist for that music. Sometimes songs don't need a bassist that has crazy skills and bass lines. who knows...maybe he's a great bassist but prefers to play simple lines for Crue songs.

I've always say Joe Satriani is a great technical guitarist, but I don't think his style is good for making great songs. But hey, I'm just a guy writing on a bass forum...I'll trade shoes with Nikki or Joe anyday hehe.

18. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Tri-state
    An appreciation for hair metal?

19. Jereth

Jereth Still lovin' that cake...

Jun 20, 2006
    Ireland
    I don't like his style at all, but he does do what he needs to, and he does it well.

Concerning the stage presense? You don't need make up and long hair to put on a great show. I always found that I preferred the guys who I thought could play and looked like they were at least enjoying themselves rather then... well, the whole hair-metal scene.

20. That is unless you are in a band that wears make-up and has long hair as a part of their act... Mr. Sixx would have looked a wee bit outta place if he simply dressed nicely an looked like he was having a good time. :eyebrow:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021