Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Great Are Old Fender Pbasses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Abluesbassist, Oct 8, 2004.

1. hey guys i just played my '73 pbass ( with flats on ) at a gig last night for the first time in a long time and man it sounded great. i kind of regret spending all that money on a custom 6 string ( which i also love but has a much different sound). i play in a funk/blues/rock/jam band and thought the six string would be the sound but man my old P sounds sooo good. any one else experience a simmliar situation ie buying a new bass thinking it will sound better and realize that nothing beats your P ( or Jazz)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :smug: that's why my custom extended range basses are what they are! I've got modern boutique range and playability and vintage look and tone!

I'll be adding a 4 string 70's tele at some point I think though.

3. A Japanese professor showed up at the Judo-do that I train at last week. His rank was 9th dan, and he wore a white belt.

I looked at that and thought to myself...is my '66 P bass that I've recently brought out of retirement; figuatively the same 'white belt' concept? We all start wearing a white belt to symbolize: we are beginners...as many of us started w/ the simple to operate Fender bass (P-bass) - (when I started, there was only Fender, Rickenbacker or Gibson...for the most part). So, when the master is wearing the white belt again...he is showing humility in the realization that he knows he's really just a beginner, despite his rank.
    Kinda like when I see Pino Palladino playing an old P and just nailin' the groove...it's like, MAN...this guy's got 4 strings, 1 pickup and 20 frets. And hat's more than he needs...and he's a master at his craft.
    I've been through all (almost literally) custom built, multi string/pickup/fret, etc., instruments, and now...back full circle with the Fender P! (I've got an old Jazz as well...'cause, well...it's just a great bass - and does its thing.) But that P...there's something in the way it sits in the mix. (I've been knodding off solos, and thinking more in the box; so...at this point, the P is just making me smile!)

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    IMO, nothing beats the tone of a good Precision. It is perfect for anything and is the sound I come home to. I had a $3200 beautiful quilt top Sadowsky 5 strong jazz that I unloaded about 2 years ago with absolutely no regrets. I still have some other basses to play around on, but my 66 Precision is "the one" and gets all the business.

5. I did a jingle last week. The man at the board smiled and said, 'now that's what I like to hear.'...as I pulled my '66 P out of the bag.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Awesome point Basicallybass. I went through a long search and went through 4 basses before I found that the tone in my head was always a P with flats. They just have this aura. I love the simplicity! Most P haters say they're a one trick pony. I don't think so, they respond great to different plucking positions, styles, and dynamics.

Right now I'm waiting for a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub from Bass Central (Thanks Gard). It'll be strung BEAD with TI Jazz flats. Lakland seems great, Gard is gonna send them the strings and they'll modify and set it up for me. I doubt Fender would do that! It's modeled after a '64 Fender P with a 10" radius fingerboard, vintage frets, and a Lindy Fralin pu.

I just feel like no other bass is more.......me. Nothing makes booties shake like P!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

[​IMG]

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    very very great. we are the coolest.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think old P Basses sound great but not better than a well built modern P bass style bass.

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    oh my god the cute bouncy man in your av has a penis :eek:

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well sure, don't you ?

11. Is that Glaub a scaled down body...just looks like it in the pic(?) I had a Glaub...same clearcoat ash, but tort gaurd. I LOVE that neck...Its a w-i-d-e one! Don't remember why I sold it...probably for some 5-string w/ more eq knobs than I can count! But...the '66 has a real vibe about it. I've played some great 70's Ps as well. I'm always torn between the flats and roundwound...they both sound great - just depends on what the gig calls for I suppose.
    Interesting thought...BEAD. Ala Anthony Jackson. I do like the tone of the G string though...

12. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I don't think it's scaled down. I thought about a P 5er but then realized that I never used the G in an actual playing situation, only when I nooded around by myself. As for the flats vs rounds debate, I'm all about the flats. I don't slap so that's not an issue. When I play a bass with rounds now I wanna scream (finger noise), I guess I'm so used to flats I unconsciously slide my fingers up and down the strings instead of lifting my fingers off them.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Natural ash with a 3pc body? Gross.

I love P's, and will always have one at my side should the need arise.

14. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Is it that bad? :meh:

I prefer alder but ash was the only option.

15. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    ash is great (my prefered body wood... tone and looks wise), but multi piece bodies with a clear coat is kinda ghetto

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    don't get me wrong... if I was after a 4 string standard P that bass would be one of my top brand picks

17. Squidfinger

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Eh, it doesn't bother me. I just hope the grain looks nice. I wanted the natural because I think it's the most neutral finish. Looks equally at home no matter what kind of music you're playing.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :eyebrow: yeah, sure don't want to clash visually with the music....

19. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love vintage P's more than anything. It's my next big investment (I'm thinking mid-70's because I can't afford any earlier (More like 77 or 78))

20. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I couldn't disagree more. After playing Mike Lent's '61 P, I can say with a straight face that it is pure magic. And I don't like P's one bit.