1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How hard can I push my Ashdown ABM 500 through my ABM 8x10 cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by triggervision, Apr 11, 2009.

1. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    Playing a room tonight that's fairly large with no soundsystem and 2 loud geetards and really loud drummer. How hard can I push my 500 watt 4ohm ABM500 head into my 1000 watt 4ohm ABM 8x10 cab? Or should I even be concerned at all?

thanks guys.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you can't blow a 1000 watt cab with 500 watts. however, at some point you will begin to clip the power section and it will sound terrible, really really bad.

3. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    sound bad...but now blow right? just wanna be sure.

4. If it sounds bad back it off.

You absolutely CAN blow a 1,000 watt cab with a 500 watt head.

The 1,000 watt rating is a thermal rating for the voice coil to melt down.

Depending on how you EQ, that 1,000 watt cab will run out of gas (start farting out) long before 1,000 watts hits it. You run the risk of creasing your cones, or doing other damage due to over excursion.

Lastly, the 500 watt rating is clean watts. An amp when maxed out can put out double it's rated power within certain frequency ranges.

5. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    If you're really concerned about volume, do you know anybody who plays bass who would let you use or 'rent' some of their gear for then ight? More cabinets and amplifiers would solve your problem if you could get them.

6. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    no dice on the rental...I normally boost my lows and low mids slightly (low mids slightly more than lows) and leave the high mids and treble flat. slight compression and slight valve drive (both from the amp) and use a bolt on thumb 4 string. I suppose I'll just be careful during sound check and deal with what's given. Both geetards don't understand the essence of a song...only the "look at me play" so this is likely to be a battle I won't win...

7. Been there / done that

Just listen to your cab - it will let you know when it is not happy

8. triggervision

triggervision

May 24, 2006
    will do...thanks for the input guys...

9. Bass4lyf

Bass4lyf

Nov 1, 2008
    Sydney
    the ashdown head is valve driven yea? i thought you could push valve amps to clipping and it wouldnt damage anything, and that all that happened was a valve overdrive sound would come out (which is a good sound).

The only experience ive had with a valve bass amp was when playing thought this exact head actually but it was only for about half an hour in a music shop, and it was a new bass i was testing, not the amp.

With that said, please correct me if i am wrong, because im not suprised if i am wrong.

10. sparrow

sparrow

May 26, 2005
    Belgium
    there is your problem (forgive my spelling..) , bout the essence of the song.. as long as it grooves, it moves..

edit: watch ben kenney!

11. +1

Just listen to your speakers. You're pretty much "in the clear", but once you start boosting those low frequencies, anything can happen. FWIW, if you want to increase your volume, cutting the low frequencies and slightly boosting the mids will get you more bang for the buck - though you won't have that rumble of low end bass as much.

12. Bass4lyf

Bass4lyf

Nov 1, 2008
    Sydney
    Just another thing, i doubt you will have to push your amp to be heard in the mix, just eq it right, and also, you say thers no sound system, well that doesnt matter, if you did have a sound system and you used it to di or mic you amp, then the guitars and drums would have to be micd to compete with you, its just the way it works, so not having a pa is going to be exaclty the same as having one, but the only difrence is, the overall sound of the whole mix will be abit quieter. you just have to make sure that your guitarists dont over power the drums, then you have plenty of room to have your volume set in there with out pushing it to the max.

You have nothing to worry about, and another thing to take into account is that you have an 8x10, that equals alot of speaker surface area which results in more volume, and also the cab is not too far off the level of your ears and the crowds ears im assuming, so you and evryone else will have no problem hearing you, you can always put a box or sumthin under you cab for abit more volume if the top two speakers arent level to your ears (which they wouldnt be but theyed be close enough).

Hope thats makes sense and i hope its relevant too