Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How hard is it to change pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Steve Harris Is, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    I was thinking of making some upgrades to my SX 5 String, swapping in some better Pickups and changing the strings was all I had planned. Question though...

How difficult is it to change the pickups? Is it just a matter of buying new ones, removing the old ones and replacing them(are the internal electronics real complicated?). The string change I can handle but the pickups frighten me somewhat so any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    I changed out the pickups on my four, and it was the easiest thing I've done. you just take off the back plate, mark or remember where the wires from the current pickups go, then take the old pickups, and solder in the new ones. if you don't want to do it just take it into a GC and have them do it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    GC? ha, no thanks.

4. go any place but guitar center for that..even a laundromat..i brought in gear to guitar center last year for repair and they sold it on me..and no ,thats not a bs story...and there was barely a "sorry we goofed"

5. Steve Harris Is

Steve Harris Is

Jul 4, 2005
    The GC near me doesn't do anything in house, they ship it out. I have heard of similar screw ups with them though so I am going to stay away from there in any case, thanks.

There is a music shop near here that does repairs, I might bring it there to be safe.