how hard is it to find a black leather strap?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Jun 2, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, Monday was Memorial Day, and GC was having their big mondo sale. Having just gotten a new bass (or two), I wanted to find a couple of decent straps. Just plain leather, I thought, nothing fancy. Maybe in black, to match the bass. So I mozie over to GC, and they have a gazillion straps. Two big rotating racks full on the floor, and another wall full on the far side. They have nylon ones, plastic ones, foam ones, ones with studs and safety pins and camoflauge.... but no black leather. Well, I figure, they're just out. So I walk across the street to Sam Ash. Same story. Every strap under the sun, even several in natural leather, but no black. So I drive across town to the other GC. I go up to the salesman, and I say, "just an ordinary black leather strap, nothin' fancy". And the guy says, "we haven't had anything like that in a long time, you'll probably need to order it from our online division" (by which I assume he meant MF). At this point I'm like, "What?" I'm wondering if I'm going nuts, or if I'm not making myself clear to these sales people, or what's going on. I mean, what's the world coming to, if you can't even find an ordinary black leather strap? I'm mystified. Someone please tell me I'm not losing my mind. :)
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Come on down to Jackon :D , the store that I frequent has about five like that. I bought one a few months ago, Levi's 4", a really great strap. It is the only strap that I have used that can keep my Alumineck Kramer from diving.
  3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    Like he said.Levis,The strap he describes is great, hell you can probably get one on ebay without leaving home.Go to garygear and ask him, or just go to levis.There's even a guy who makes custom straps on there who will make you one as thick and as fancy as you want. Good luck
  4. I think the point he's trying to make is, not where or what kind of strap, but wouldn't you expect to see an effin' plain black dead cow strap- nothing fancy- in an effin' music store?

It would be like asking for a set of roundwound strings, but they had flatwound, or half round, or roundwound that glow in the dark, or roundwound that emit a funny odor as you're playing or half round that electrocute you as you're playing or...
  5. I was trying to find the same thing when I first got my Carvin (couple years ago, maybe?); had the same difficulty. I think I eventually did find one at a GC, but it took a few trips and a lot of digging to the back of strap racks. I ended up with a Levy's 2-incher, model M7GP. So, you're not losing your mind, but you might have to just bite the bullet and order one :meh:
  6. Any idea how hard it is to find a decent, long, 1950's style strap? (the kind with the strap about an inch wide with a 3" shoulder pad?

Strap length is another issue. I don't think I wear my basses or guitars exceptionally low, and I'm not that big of a guy, but I can't find straps that are comfortable for the height I'd like the guitar at... :spit:
  7. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Just bought one...plain black, small strap, big sheepskin shoulder pad. Love it.
  8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've bought all my plain black leather straps (about 3-4) at the local GC here... I can't remember what brand they are, but they are great straps, and about $15.