1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How hard is it to find a lawsuit Ric copy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Silver Hammer, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    I know Rickenbacker is really anal about copies but damn I think these things impossible to find. I want one so I can mod/repaint it without you know ruining an actual Rickenbacker and no matter how hard I look I find nada. Has anyone on this forum ever actually found one? Did Ric send out hitmen to destroy them?

2. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Duck.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They are discussed here all the time, and they show up in the TB classifieds every couple of months. Be patient and keep your eyes open. Also look for listings that say "stereo bass" because I've seen people use that phrase on Ebay to avoid the Ric police now and then.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hard. We can get Rockingbetter's pretty easy in Europe, but they don't look very close to Ric's other than body shape, and their necks are gigantic, neck through though.

6. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    You could try Craigslist too...

7. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    I've owned 3 Ibanez copies of the Rickenbacker 4001 bass. They are really good copies. So, with the rising demand for real Rick basses, these are getting harder to come by.

Having said that, I bought my last two in the late 90's on E-Bay. They still turn up there every 4 months or so. Back in the 90's, they went for $300-$450 with case. Now, I would expect to pay between $550-$650. But, they are available. Keep searching E-Bay and Craigslist. They do turn up now and again.

Good luck.

8. If you live near NYC, the guitar shop on 23rd Street in the Chelsea Hotel (where Sid Vicious met his untimely end), has had a fireglo in the window for a while. Don't know if its still there.

9. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I found a '77 Ibanez Ric copy on EBay a couple of months ago-
    It was under "Ibanez" and didn't mention "Rickenbacker" in the ad, though it probably would have got pulled soon, but
    I hit the "buy it now" right after it was posted-
    I paid $700-but it is in amazing shape, and looks/sounds/plays great-
    I've also seen a beat one on the local Craigslist recently for
    $300-

10. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    there are a lot of GRECO Ric copies on Yahoo auction Japan. However, the price is quite high due to perhaps collectors item. here are two currently on auction very nice for modding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    If you just want something that resembles a ric to mess around with, you might consider the Schecter 004... which doesn't look nearly as cool, but it has the basic body shape at least. Can't believe John Hall hasn't sued the hell out of them yet... but who knows, maybe he figures it's cheesy enough that no one would get them confused.

12. mookie stinkz

mookie stinkz Banned

Apr 7, 2008
    i got a 76 univox stereo bass - got it from a member here, dont remember who though. they pop up from time to time.

13. Kyon`

Kyon`

Aug 17, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Really with Ric legal department, it can be tough. Try locally, guitar shops, pawn shops even. However the rising prices of Rics and demand the copies are going up too. I just know there have to be more then the ones I see online for high prices. Quick we must ride into the night to battle the demon that is the Ric law department and free the Ric copies!

14. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I got one of a craigslist add. The guy who sold it for me did a private auction on ebay where he just stated imitation ibanez bass after we had discussed all the deal thru email.

15. DTSH

DTSH

Sep 23, 2008
    Woodside, Queens, NY
    Pretty sure Fernandes made one.. might well still for the Japan market. Your best bet is to get a broken Ric and repair it, then mess with it.

16. vanscoy

vanscoy

Nov 30, 2007
    Are there any risks to buying one? I seem to remember seeing John Hall saying that they have the right to go after the buyer in a lawsuit... Something akin to going after those who download pirated music.

17. HOOLIGAN

HOOLIGAN

Dec 21, 2007
    Cowtown, USA
    I just got one a couple of Months ago on Ebay-
    I can't think of anything funnier than the image of a couple
    of guys in suits coming to my door to recover my
    "trademark infringement purchase"-
    They'd have a heck of a time prying it away from me;
    cuz its awesome!

18. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    that greco is nice!-but i suppose once you add stateside shipping etc,it's getting close to what you would pay for a 4003. i would like to get that one for my own nefarious purpose-which i'm not going to mention what THAT is here....;) ok,you dragged it out of me-since 50's model rick basses are so rare and so expensive,i would like to fashion a reasonable facsimile.......that's all i'm sayin'...:ninja:

19. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    In all my years of playing bass I've only run into two Ric copies. I think one was a Greco
    and the other a Univox if I remember correctly, and that was back in the late 70's. I suppose the Bay and C-list are about the only options to dig one up.