Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how hard is it to make a custom bass?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by benhardisme, Nov 19, 2003.

1. benhardisme

benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    US
    i've always been kinda interested in making my own bass but i really have no clue whats involved in it. does it require a lot of exspensive tools or can it be done by hand without an unsatisfactory result? thanks!:)

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
  3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    You could also do a search at talkbass. I'm sure there are plenty of threads about he subject.:)

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I can't imagine it would be too hard, as long as you can follow a wiring diagram and have the right tools. I've been thinking about doing the same, since I'm lefty and my options are limited. I could build my bass as I come across the parts...

5. how hard is it to make a custom bass?

not hard

how hard is it to make a GOOD custom bass?

very

6. benhardisme

benhardisme

Mar 13, 2003
    US
    thanks guys! i think i'll just give it a try and see what happens. if i dont get a bass i like it'll just be a lesson learned i guess

7. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Depends on if you are putting together a bass from parts or if you want to go the whole way.

If you do it all by hand, you are all but guaranteed not to enjoy it unless you are very practiced with hand tools. You can easily run into the hundreds of $$ just to avoid some of the heavier slog work -- a router, a drill, some clamps for gluing, some router bits, maybe a jigsaw and you're already there.

If you want to buy a kit bass like Warmoth and put it together, then all you need is some sandpaper, some finishing materials, a screwdriver, and a soldering iron.

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    he did say "how hard is it to make a custom bass?"

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    On a scale to 10, 10 being impossible, 0 being childs game: 6.
    It's hardly for everybody, but most people can achieve a good result. No expensive tooling is necessary, but some will help...
    And patience, patience!

10. The game of chess has been described as an easy game to learn but one that takes a lifetime to master. That's pretty much the same for bass building. The rules for building are pretty simple. Follow them and the results will be a truly playable instrument. Taking the next step and incorporating fine details usually comes with experience and the natural boost in ambition you get after your first bass is complete. For your first especially, the results you get will be directly proportional to the amount of research, planning, and patience you put into your work.