1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How hard is it to make it in the music industry?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chilaha, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Chilaha

Chilaha

Dec 12, 2011
    I'm 16. Have a bass but never bothered to play it. I want to be in a famous band like Korn. I REALLY like their band. I can practice a lot. I don't have enough money for a lot of lessons but ill spend hours on youtube everyday watching free lessons. Any help you can give me is great. I just want to learn how to play music like Korn, System of a Down, and etc.
    I'll put in as much time needed.

And, is 16 to late to start playing bass to become famous?
    Thanks,
    Chilaha

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    It's never too late to start playing. Trying to get famous playing music will be the hardest thing you ever do. But if you work hard, make all the sacrifices, find the right guys to start a band, work some more, then work more, then work a whole lot more, and end up at the right place at the right time, then work real hard some more the meet the right people and work really really really really really really hard. Then maybe ya might just have a shot at it.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
    Oh yeah, did I mention it takes a lot of hard work and a little luck at just the right time? :bassist:

3. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    You have a better chance of hitting the lottery or getting struck by lightning. Sorry but you have to be either extraordinarily great or extraordinarily lucky, and usually both. Not saying it cant be done and dont want to be ants at a picnic, but its not as easy as just practicing a bunch in your bedroom and boom you will be famous.

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    How do you expect to become famous if you don't even spend time with your instrument? Why bass, anyways? Why not choose an instrument that you're at least passionate enough about to pick it up and noodle with at least once in awhile?

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    In my experience?

Completely impossible.

You have a better chance of turning yourself inside out, and eating yourself. Although, if you could do that, you could be famous!

ONCE.

6. geddeeee

geddeeee

Jun 30, 2006
    I wouldn't worry about the 'famous' bit. The main thing is to practice.... then more practice. If you will be playing bass just to make it, you'll probably get 'found out' early on.

You need to love playing, simple as that. This will translate to your playing. This is more important than anything else. If the audience see that you are 'getting into it', they will respond.

The music industry is fickle and harsh. Just do it for the love of it!!!!!

7. Don't get your future income or happiness on it. However, do play, it's fun.

8. If fame is the goal, you have already lowered your odds exponentially.

9. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Sorry mate, 16 is too late. Should've started before you learned how to write. But seriously, "never bothered to play"???

10. troll....

11. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    Yeah, I can't tell if this is a troll post or genuine.

If it's genuine - fame is a hard thing to get, because there are so many bands out there.

12. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    That would be sad enough but I think he's for real :meh: .

13. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
  14. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    The first thingh you need to do i LOVE.. and i mean... LOOOOOOOOOVE playing.. if you love the metal triangle (i don't know how it is called in the english language but you get the picture) more than bass you proly have more chances playing the triangle... because from loving comes practicing.. and practicing should NOT be viewed as work... Personally, even a frickin major scale practice with the right drum track behind it can be TONS of fun... today I spent 2 hours practicings tryad combinations and I though i would be done with scales in like 30 mins so i can start praticing some passages.. even so.. i had a great time and it was not wasted time...
    continuing on the subject, what smogg said is true! you need to be lucky, and take the time to learn all the boring stuff... they are boring in the beggining until you figure out what to do with it...
    and then there is the band issue... I can tell you on thing, I only play for like 8 years... and i had a TON of bands.. none lasted more then 4 - 5 months.... I'm just unlucky in that part.. I'm always trying to get together to play.. and a band rehearsal for me can go on and on for many hours.. and everyone always got places to be and **** to do and yada yada yada... one rehearsal per week that lasts only 3 hours, and 1 hour is to set up the gear... not my definition of being a band... but i diverge again ( LOL )

all of that being said.. I gotta said this man... it's good you wanna be good like the ppl in those bands.. (well bass player from korn is a bit overrated IMHO) I think you are trying to jump ahead of yourself... fame? *** is that? i don't know any single true musitian that's in it for the fame... they might be in it for the message, to piss ppl off, love for music (ofc), even showing off a bit (not the same thing...) but fame? dude do you know Carol Kaye?? bet you don't... but I am sure as hell you heard her play bass....

anyways... do not worry about that ****... learn, practice, get yourself into it.. skip meals and pull all nighters because you didn't realized that 8 hours have passed since you picked up the bass...

another couple of things... 16 is not late... good bassists started much older... you just got to have a method...
    and finally... don't just watch youtube free lessons... you can pick a whole lot from them but practice is way more important than watching lessons...

If you manage to pay for lessons it's better because youtube does not give you feed back on your evolution and does not point out you faults... beleive me i had to do that myself and it sucks :( :help:

cheers :bassist:

P.S: looking at his previous posts i don't think its a fake.. anyways even if it is.. this **** continues to be valid :p

15. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    Gotta be a troll.

16. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Don't think so

17. Scale of 1 to 10? 47.

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Forget it! Stay in school and play for fun on weekends like most of us.

20. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    it's much easier than making it as a sculptor, but harder than making it as a pro athlete