1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How hard is it to put together the BYO pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zachoff, May 19, 2011.

1. I just ordered this and I'm wondering if it's going to be super difficult to put together. I've re-wired basses and guitars a few times & am decent w/ a soldering iron, but I've never done anything like this before... Your thoughts?

2. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    You should be fine if you're decent with a soldering iron already. I put together a BYOC Large Beaver. Zero experience with anything like that before and it came out great.

3. take yer time and youll be ok

4. iPie

iPie

Dec 5, 2008
    Hampshire UK
    i built a BYOC overdrive 2, it came out pretty good... i have since ruined it somehow but i did do a lot of fiddling :p in the process of fixing it now :) but you should be fine :)

5. I built a General Guitar Gadgets tuned Big Muff and it was super easy! You'll be fine as long as you can read and solder :)

6. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you can read and solder you're in good shape, just don't pick a crazy hard circuit to start or it's incredibly frustrating when you have to troubleshoot it at the end for like 10 hours. Yes, that happened to me.

7. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    I was able to put together the BYOC Envelope filter and I had never touched a soldering iron before in my life. And it worked first time through. You'll be fine.

8. Testing_123

Testing_123

Jan 23, 2011
    WMass, USA
    Work slowly, and double-check components before installing.

These projects are typically not difficult to assemble. The stink of the process is that one missed connection, shorted wire, or incorrectly-installed component can make the whole thing not work. Therefore, don't get frustrated if a build doesn't work correctly right away -- plan that you may need to do some troubleshooting (it's part of the process for even the most experienced DIY builders).

Be methodical, and be patient. All will be good.

If questions come up, there are some great places to seek advice. Most folks over at DIYStompboxes are helpful and friendly to newer builders.

9. The Brass Master is pretty heavy on the wiring side of things. In my experience, it's harder to get the hang of wiring in confined spaces than it is to learn to solder. You would do really well to get a set of automatic wire strippers and make sure you have some good pickup wire. You'll be soldering a lot of connections, so it will pay to make that as easy as possible.

I think this is kind of a tough first build, but a little patience goes a long way, and it's certainly manageable.

Have fun and good luck!