How hard is it to put together your own bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    If I were to buy the parts, etc, is it THAT difficult?

Any good how-to's, personal experiance, out there?

Also, are the parts good enough to warrant their worth? i.e. a warmoth $600 jazz will beat out or match the $900 fender jazz?

Because Im really gassing for a nice vintage 4 string jazz, just wondering if its cheaper to put one together or just wait and save up.
  2. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    do you have a toilet?

shouldnt be that hard if you do, otherwise its moderately difficult, to very difficult depending on your standards. are you talking from scratch or ala warmoth
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    ala warmoth, order parts, just puit em together.
  4. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I've built a few, and I wouldn't do it if your main reason is to save money. If you want to do it for the fun and experience, go for it. I love building, but I found that by the time you buy the hardware, pickups, etc., it doesn't cost less. Big companies can buy stuff in bulk.

I actually have bought cheap instruments just for the parts, and then made my own. It was cheaper than buying the parts separately. I bought a Danelectro Hodad for $99 and gutted it. I built a body and used most of the Dano parts, and had a ball.
  5. Your question has been discussed for page after page on these boards and that discussion could go on for another nth number of pages - there is no simple answer.

If you have woodworking skills, a knowledge of how and why these things are put together as they are and a lot of desire, it IS possible.

You should keep in mind that to keep the price low with Warmoth parts, you will have to order them without finish. This can be a real problem if you wanted a painted bass and can't afford the upcharge from Warmoth. Even the necks come unfinished for the base price and you'll have to complete this yourself. So, you'll have to decide on a finish and be able to complete the finish yourself to keep in your $600 price range.

If you really want to give it a try and don't feel comfortable with spending the premium dollars for Warmoth parts, why not try a parts bass assembled from some of the great parts available on ebay. I build, and sometimes get great deals on hardware there. Combine this with one of the nice Fender licensed bodies and a neck from Magic Dragon and you'll have a very nice instrument for around half of a comparable Warmoth. This gets you some experience (cuz I guarantee you'll want to build another:) ) and you won't have the high outlay in case your ambition goes south.

If you are dead set to assemble your own from Warmoth parts, read everything on their site and shop the thrift shop regularly. Also get over to the MIMF for lots of info about finishes and begin absorbing it all. You've set a pretty high standard with wanting to match a US deluxe Fender but it is achievable like Opey says as long as you understand your own expectations.
  6. I agree with Hambone. For $600 you could build an awesome bass from some salvaged parts and a custom neck. I have some nice blocks of unfinished (raw) ash left over that would make great bodies. Email me if you are interested in some unfinished raw blocks of ash or mahogeny, I have a resource for this stuff.
  7. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    NO woodworkign skills to speak off here. And Im a dunce with my hands, but Id love to learn :)
  8. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Putting a bass together from Warmoth parts is not difficult, but you don't do it to save money - you do it to make a very good bass that is the way YOU want it.

If your primary aim is to save money, look elsewhere. There are companies that make bodies and necks cheaper, and as others have said, don't forget the eBay.