How hard is it to set up a bass??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Like if I buy off Ebay, and the bass needs some set-up, how hard is this going to be? I have never done it before, relying instead on the local guitar store, but I really think I need to get into the instrument a little better, and should learn to do this myself. A good web site might help, if you have any suggestions...
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    It's really not all that hard. Now, I think a whooole lot of TBers will disagree with me on this (and with good reason, honestly), but take an allen wrench...and just start messing with your bass until it's right. Best way to learn, if you ask me.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    As long as you remember to turn your truss a little bit at a time, you should fine. The rule of thumb I've heard is a 1/4 turn at a time.

It would be a good idea to invest in a good set of allen wrenches in several sizes, ranging from big enough to handle the truss rod, and small enough to raise and lower the bridge saddles.
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Definitely. I've got a folding allen wrench tool that's got like twenty different sizes, and somethin like that is a bassist's best friend.
  5. I have a lot of allen wrenches already,so I may be all set. It's just the "fear factor" that I was a little worried about -- my worst fear being having to bring my otherwise messed up bass into the dealer from which I DID NOT buy it from and beg for some help!!!
  6. k, thanks, will let y'all know once i'm into it :)
  7. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I'm no handyman but I did my Fender Jazz recently after reading a black book written by a bassplayer (from amazon I think). Most decent brands supply a small toolkit or something don't they? Intonation and string height you can do by trial and error easily enough. The nut is out of play as soon as you fret so easy to diagnose.
    Truss rod is the biggie. See below - 1/4 turn maximum. And be gentle when doing it too. Read it up first and you'll be wiser for it.