1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How hard is the adjustment 34 to 35 scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I'm looking at a Schecter Diamond P 5, have never played a 35 scale. I've seen some comments in threads that there is a learning curve to get comfortable with a 35. Is this merely to feel where the frets are? I've been playing bass for over 30 years, and can play my 34 scales with my eyes closed. Will this change with a 35?

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    IME, switching is not a big deal. You will, very quickly, still be able to play with your eyes close. However, if you are that comfortable with 34, 35 may never feel quite right.

3. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It's up to you. Some say they do not have a problem with it.
    I could never get use to my Peavey Curris and sold it.

4. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Newnan, GA
    After playing bass for twenty-two years I bought my first 35". I have barely noticed a difference.

5. rms2

rms2

May 27, 2008
    VA

35 didn't work well for me. When reading charts I kept missing especially in the higher register. While looking at my left hand I was okay but the other problem was the stretch in first position was too much. But I didn't stick with it for long, and all my other basses are 34 scale. Like you I have played 34 scale for a long time. From my experiment with 35 I now know that muscle memory is important and I don't want to mess with it.

6. Easy if you ask some. Impossible if you ask others. Perhaps somewhere in between.

7. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    I never had a problem with it...

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Not a problem. I have two 35's, a Spector NS-5 and a Lakland 5501. I can tell the Spector is a little longer, I think because of the body shape and larger neck but I dare you to be able to tell the difference (other than better sound and feel!) between the Lakland and a 34"

9. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I did not have an issue....but now I am ALL 35" scale (except for my Kelly Dragonfly)...

as stated above, the Lakland 35" is a nice compromise...they adjust the neck pocket and the bridge placement to get some of the assed length..although SOME can say they still feel it...maybe they do...just not me.

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    i've done worse: switching from 34" to 36" .... really easy over the upper area of the neck (big fingers...), but I never felt so comfortable near the headstocks: playing some fast lines in a four fingers scales position was sometimes really tough for me. Worse of all, I had to extend my left arm too far for me (I'm not tall !), resulting some wrist issues. I've tested the bass before, it sounds really killin' so I bought it, thinking I would be able to solve that by a better practice, but.... :meh:

11. bass4worship

bass4worship Ready For Freddy, let rock

May 4, 2009
    Sebring, Florida
    Not a problem for me and play both 34 and 35 scale.

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    No one will be able to tell you if you can do it. Some people have no problem, other people a lot of problems. No universal answer. It also depends on the design of the bass - some basses play longer than others.

13. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    I play both. It hasn't been a problem.

14. For me there is a little adjustment but it isn't bad. Once you get used to it, switching back and forth won't be bad at all.

15. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I've never played a 35"er, but I switch from 30" to 34" without any problem.

16. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    As others have said, everyone has a different experience. I personally could not get used to it, and needed to find a nice 34 in. scale 5 string I liked.

17. It's not tough but it primarily depends on the body shape of the bass. A Spector will feel a whole lot different from a Valenti.

18. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I switched to a Peavey Cirrus and it seemed to be an easy change. I think the Cirrus neck was a better fit.

I think the difference in tone was more than worth it.

19. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    Thanks for all the great responses. I guess it sounds like it will be
    a personal feel. I too am not tall (5'10" with not very long fingers), and wonder if the wider frets will be an issue down by the headstock. That IS the difference between 34 and 35 RIGHT?

Here is a pic of the exact bass I'm looking at:
    [​IMG]

20. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    The difference is that the one is 34 inches from bridge to nut, the other is 35 inches from bridge to nut. That is a 3% difference and as a result the spacing between every pair of frets is also 3% different. The total distance from frets 1 to 5 is 6.8 inches instead of 6.6 inches, which is also a 3% difference. Personally I don't think it makes a difference in anything. I only own 34 inch basses but I've played 35s and 30s in stores and simply never had an issue with any of them.

Ken