1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How hard on speakers is playing over loops at gig volume live?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kirk Bryant, Feb 2, 2017.

1. i have NOT used a pedalboard since the 90's and I joined a band that's doing a bunch of 80's and 90's Rock. It's a fairly loud band and I usually use a pair of Bergantino 112's (which can get pretty loud on their own) and have 4 available if necessary. But I'd rather not use all 4 unless absolutely necessary, like playing outdoors.
    An example of a tune requiring layered bass would be the ending of Journeys Stone In Love. The bass pedals the root then a second bass line plays counter melodies and harmonies to the guitarists lead line. Having never done this I'd be doing the pedal notes on my Ditto looper then playing the other parts live with the guitar.
    My question is really how hard will this be on the speakers at live levels?

2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Dropping Acid Pedal Etching .com Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Maple Grove, MN
    DroppingAcidPedalEtching.com
    It will not be hard on your speakers as long as your volume isn't cranked. Use your ears and you'll be fine

Live looping with a band is nearly impossible. Good luck!

Fuzzbass and Swimming Bird like this.
  3. I have to agree with JonnyAngle on this; as long as you keep the volume at a reasonable level you'll be fine. I also think the hardest part of what you're describing will be playing a second bass part over the bass loop with the whole band and keeping it all in sync.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Volume is volume. The speaker doesn't care if it's playing one bass part or 10, as long as it's not being pushed beyond it's volume limit.