1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How hard should it be to find a Guitarist?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Jarnett, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    2 of my friends and I have a studio project, we're trying to turn it into an actual band. But we can't find a second guitarist to save our lives, we've tried everyone we know, craigslist, bandmix, just about everything we can come up with. We haven't been able to find one, we are mostly originals that is a mix of Foo Fighter, Saosin, and Four Year Strong.

2. Be a three piece?

3. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    Yeah we are right now but some of the stuff we write its hard for our guitarist/lead singer to play and sing at the same time. That and we have a seperate lead and rhythm guitar parts. That and we really want a second guitarist.

4. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    Just keep trying, the market's always changing, something will break.

You might try Free classifieds - backpage.com

It's pretty much the same as CL but in my area it seems to garner a little more respect among musicians.

5. In my area, throw a rock, you'll probably hit one.

Now a good guitarist, that's a different story.

I'm twice the guitar player as I am a bass player (never mind my avatar, I take the bass slot rather seriously), but I've been trying literally for years to land a guitar slot in a decent band. Finally landed a guitar slot in one of the better country bands a couple of months ago. It seems I'm always a minute late, and the band has no shortage of "friends who play."

6. We were auditioning guitarists a few months ago and had a few that were real turds. We wanted to jam on a few things and they had no idea what basic chords were, had a hard time doing any sort of lead work other than shredding metal solos, and were flakey to boot. Finally found a guy that we really get along with and works really hard at learning what he doesn't already know. Spokane is overrun with metal-heads, so finding someone that fits can be tough outside of that genre. I've found that if you are more specific in your online posts and flyers you weed out a few people from the get go. Good luck with your search. Don't give up!

7. That sounds preaty cool actually.
    Sadly its the same in my area.
    Many are dooky and suck with huge ego.
    My bad needs a 2nd guitarist so what I do in the middle of a song I swith from bass to guitar and back. I mostly play rhythm guitar ad lead bass. Its difficult changing on a dme but its working so far.:oops::D

8. djello

djello

Oct 28, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    ... Have him record both guitar parts? If you aren't playing live it shouldn't be a big deal, that's like the coolest thing about being a studio project, you can have as many, or as few members as you want.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    +1

If you want someone who plays barre chords and mindless penatonic BS all night or somone who thinks endless power chords with muddy scooped tone that drops out of the mix once the band starts playing is great guitar playing, then you'll have no problem.

...finding a guitarist with chops, dynamics, taste, and good tone is just as difficult as finding any other musician.

Good luck in your search. :bassist:

10. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    We're a studio project because we haven't been able to find any guitarist that fit the bill. I take that back my guitarist has a friend that he was stationed with while he was in the MC, but he doesn't wanna move to Michigan, but then again I don't blame him.

We have everything but a guitarist, people who want to book us, tourmobile, blue collar work ethics, awesome gear, a studio/space for practice, just about all a band could ask for.

11. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    1 out of 3 people born between 1946 and 1998 are guitar players...
    but musicians who play guitar are pretty rare.

12. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Includes air-guitar and those who only know "Smoke on the Water"!

13. Your problem is you want a guitarist w/o baggage/drama/issues- IME, a fantasy. I suggest you try to decide the exact amount of BS you & the rest of the band are willing to swallow so you have a cutoff point for yay/naying potential twangers. Lotsa luck. :)

14. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    I wouldn't really care how many issues he has as long as he can play and is committed, its like the ones that have the ability aren't committed, and the ones that are committed aren't any good.

15. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    Try going to as many local shows as you can and network with people that way. Not only will you probably meet a lot of cool new people and make some new friends, you'll be placing yourself on an avenue to meet some great musicians. Eventually something will happen.

Knowing exactly what you're after is going to prevent a lot of frustration in the search as well.

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    How hard?

People who own a guitar are a dime a gross.
    People who play the guitar are a dime a dozen.
    People who play the guitar well are a dime each.
    People who play the guitar well on a gig are a dollar each.
    People who play the guitar well on a gig and are easy to work with are worth their weight in gold.

Best way to find a capable guitarist?
    Book some gigs.

17. Skarekrough

Skarekrough

Aug 7, 2006
    You may want it to be a "real band" but there's nothing there to make them feel like they're going to be that other than getting to show up and play someone else's songs. At least when most folks are doing that they get to play three sets a night and get paid decently for it.