Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How hard to switch to a Mac?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marlat, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I am probably going to need to purchase a new computer in the not to distant future as it looks like im going to spend the next few years travelling and working (perhaps in the Cayman Islands) and need to take my music and documents etc with me.

Clearly I will need a laptop, but was wondering if I wanted to swap to a Mac - one of the new ones with Intel chips, how hard would the transition be?

What would I miss out on with switching from my PC?

What are the advantages?

I am not a gamer, although don't mind farting around with one once in a blue moon. But I need iTunes and word capability and to often be able to connect via remote desktop to my work network.

Thanks

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    What are your most used applications?

3. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Word, internet explorer and iTunes combined with a remote connection to my work network (which apparently will run on a Mac).

4. Interesting. I'm thinking of doing the same, except not with a laptop. I want one of the Mac's with Intel chippy.

What are the major differences, again, I'm not a gamer either.

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i want one too...it seems pretty cool...how could a zilion ipods be wrong?

6. Rephyx

Rephyx

Feb 12, 2006
    Go ahead and make the switch.

The Macintosh interface is light years a head of Windows. It has tons of great stuff for Business, entertainment and particularly - Music.

Plunge away

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think apple can explain switching best http://www.apple.com/switch/.

I've been using macs for almost 10 years now. Granted they are the industry standard in my profession, but I can't see using anything else for my basic personal computer needs.

The biggest thing I think is the OSX operating system is brilliant compared to windows. It's so stable and powerful, freeze and crash will fade from your vocabulary. Plus its much move intuitive to work with. The bundled software is 100x better then anything windows offers. Plus, new apps are coming out all the time like iWeb, garageband, etc...

Oh and networking is a breeze!! Plug in, double click on your server of choice, password if needed and you're in.

Microsoft office works flawlessly too, I never have any problems opening files created on a pc.

If they update the iBook with the intel chips soon, that would be perfect for your needs. The MacBook Pro's are sweet, but might be more machine than you require,

8. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You won't even know you switched, except that everything will be easy and work the way you think it should and your computer won't crash and...

you'll be happy, believe me.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The problem I have is that I have 70gb of MP3's from my 600+ CDs. Obviously I am not going to take my cds with me overseas, so I would need a HDD in the laptop big enough to hold them all. Hence I need the more powerful Macbook Pro than say the iBook.

How does the speed of a Macbook Pro compare to a PC? Ie if I get the top of the line one, what sort of PC is that equivalent to?

10. Yeah, well, if I hear "Buy a Mac" one more time in response to any Windows related question, I'm going to snap.

Around here "Buy a Mac" is the new "Jaco only needed 4 strings" and is getting equally old.

- Dave

11. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The big difference will be after using the Mac for a couple of weeks and then you have to go back to windows for something. Then expletives begin coming from your lips!:D My work computer is windows, but I swiched to Mac at home, and I have never seen my Mac run slow, crash, lose files (mine is the lowly Emac). Where as two different windows machines, are always an adventure.

12. Its not hard to switch to a mac...i am writing on my new Apple iBook G4, and it is easy...granted i grew up with mac then switched to ibm-type computers when i was 10 or so, but now i am back! the only thing that i do kinda forget about is that there is only one mouse button instead of two...not too big of a problem, but I used that right click quite a bit!
    otherwise my only other problem with my iBook is that it is pure white...i am very worried that i will get it dirty, but that feeling should wear out in a month or so :)

13. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have both and enjoy both. I will continue to buy both mac and PC in the future.

70 gigs of MP3's would fit onto 9 dual layer DVD's for easy portability...

I like that my PC is a bit more 'connective' when dealing with others who aren't computer savy...and I love the solid performance and easy intuitive use of the mac.

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +10000 on that! Seriously, if you are into fooling around with the innards of the machine. Get a PC. If you are into actually DOING work or HAVING fun, get a Mac.

Here's a fun little story of how cool a Mac is: I just recently went from a G3 iMac to a G5 iMac. When I took the G5 outta the box and plugged it in for the first time, one of the first questions it asked on the start up screen is "Is your old computer a Mac? Do you want to transfer all the files from the old Mac to this computer?" I hit the "YES" button. It promted me to attatch a Firewire cable between the 2 computers and hit the GO button when ready. I did so. It then came up with a file transfer screen and a countdown of how many minutes it had left. I went downstairs, made dinner, ate and came back and it was done. When I restarted my new G5, it was an exact duplicate of my old computer. All the iTunes songs were in thier place, all my Quicken checkbook banking stuff was right where I left it, all my buddy lists for iChat (Just like and compatible with, AOL Instant Messanger) all my emails and all my saved favorite webpages (including Talkbass!!!) There was no adjustment period...no "dang, I used to have that file on my old computer". Just right back to business as usual...just with a G5 processor and a large, 20" flat screen!!!!! What a load off of my mind...I thought I was going to have to swap files for hours. It only took about 45 minutes! I don't recall any of my old PC's ever making life that easy for me. I was always messing with jumpers on harddrives or making sure different devices didn't conflict...what the hell...why would a printer and an external hard drive conflict in the first place?!?!?! HAHAHA

Good luck on your computer hunting

15. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Apple claims thier new intel DuoCore processor is 4x faster than its predicessor the 1.67 Ghz G4. Which was a fast machine. Not sure of an exact comparison, but I'd say it probably smokes any comparable PC laptop.

I'm sure theres some specific comparisons out there if you search around.

16. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    if you are like me and use Linux as well as windows, it isn't that hard... Afterall, mac OSX is unix based.

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Mark. The Macbook pro is about on par with the latest PC notebooks using the intel core duo chip. There are a couple notebooks out there using a 2.0 ghz version of the chip, but that is not really a significant performance gain from 1.67 or 1.8

iTunes comes with the computer, Safari(internet browser) comes with the computer, and Textedit(word compatible word processor) comes with the computer.

I have no experience working with remote desktop situations but I know that both apple and microsoft have remote desktop solutions that are designed to interact with one another. If you already have the remote desktop setup, I believe microsoft offers a free mac version of their client.

So, switching is going to be very easy for you. If you have any issues though, there are mac dorks everywhere that will be more than happy to help you out.

18. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats not this thread. Please take it somewhere else. I could care less about some petty techno-nerd debate.