1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How hard to turn truss rod?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mmbongo, Oct 19, 2009.

1. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Truss rod adjustments are something that I've never fooled that much with. I adjusted my EB Bongo when I got it, but of course that was a breeze thanks to EB's truss rod wheel.

I recently got a Peavey Millennium (USA) which also has a wheel, but I had to really really put some pressure on it, breaking 2 allen wrenches and a screwdriver until I found something robust enough to turn it.

Now I'm wanting to adjust the truss rod on my older ESP which needs a 3/16" allen wrench and is done at the neck heel. I only had a T handle and for the life of me could not turn the thing. Of course the ONLY regular allen wrench missing from my set would be the 3/16" so I'm going to pick up one today and I'll probably need to use a handle from an interchangeable screwdriver to get enough leverage to turn it.

I guess the question is...how much pressure should this normally take? Is it possible to break the truss rod by over adjusting? I don't know if this truss rod is already maxed out or what.

2. bbocaner

bbocaner

Aug 17, 2005
    Herndon, VA
    Don't ever force it! It is certainly possible to break the truss rod and/or damage the wood that the truss rod uses for leverage. If it's a 1-way truss rod then you should be able to back the nut off all the way and clean it then lubricate it with a little heavy machine oil and then put it back on, which should fix things up. If it's a 2-way truss rod trying to back the nut off all the way may break it, you might be able to use a needle oiler to put some penetrating oil in there.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    you're welcome.

4. ByF

ByF

May 19, 2009
    If you're breaking allen wrenches and screwdrivers, that rod is seized up. Don't do that. A truss rod nut shouldn't be much harder to turn than turning off the water in a sink. Harder, but definitely not "breaking tools" hard.

Ed

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hey I know I'm late to this thread but let me tell you I've owned 3 Peavey basses with the wheel adjustment for the truss rod, and I thought all three were maxed out. BUT, if you take the neck off of those basses and loosen the wheel all the way off. Clean the threads on the inside of the wheel with penetrating oil, (just a little bit on a Qtip) then re install it. You'll be fine. I think for some reason those get crud in the threads easily but it is an easy fix.