1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How hard would it be to change a 6 string to an EADGBE (guitar type)tuning?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quadrogong, Oct 15, 2006.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I want a bass like a standard 4 string, with an added high B and E, it would be like a guitar tuning.

Would It be a matter of getting new saddles and a new nut?
    that simple?..

How terrible would it be if I these thinner strings on a standard 6 string? in the meantime,until I got the saddles and nut.

The slots in the saddles and nut would be too wide,would the strings wobble around from side to side?

I was just wondering,if I could try out this new tuning before I bought the nut and saddles. Just to try..

With changing the saddles to ones with thinner slots, and changing the nut to one with thinner slots..would I be able to create this EADGBE bass?..

I'd get a thin neck 6 string,I guess.

This is a dream of mine, I play in a progressive trio, and playing some guitar like stuff with distortion, some harmony leads and stuff, seems like an awesome experiment, but I wouldn't invest a grand and a half in building a custom one, it's still in the experimental phases.

I COULD get an old Fender VI, or an old longhorn bass, they both are tuned that way,but it seems easier to get a cheap 6 string Dean or Brice,whatever..change the saddles,and try it out first.
    anyone have any experience with stuff like this?
    Thanks, in advance..
    kev

2. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    get a set of strings for a 7 string bass, and dont' use the low B u might need a new nut but if ur bass is decent it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

3. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    so, I can restring it with a seven string set,and leave off the low B, a 7 string set doesn't have a low F# or something?..

never realized it was only a low B with all higher strings,hmm.
    ..U think I might be able to make do with the old nut and saddles?
    I'm getting ready to buy a new bass, maybe i'll try it out.
    also..
    anyone know some 6'ers with thin necks? I won't need as much spacing with the thinner strings

4. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    Most 7 string sets have a high F.

5. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    U think I can just go for it? have u heard of many people restringing 6 strings that way?
    I figure,
    ..worst case, buy the saddles and nut, it should work..
    what would be a typical set of strings?, I'm using 45-105's now..what would my high B and high E be?
    ..as far as string gauge?
    and btw, according to wicapedia,
    "the "most common" method of tuning is to tune 7-string bass to F#BEADGC or BEADGCF"
    I guess u can use the low F# OR the hi F

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended-range_bass

6. msherman

msherman

Nov 20, 2002
    Connecticut, USA
    I use a .024 wound for my high F on my 7 strings. You would only tune it down for E., so a 7 string set will work, just don`t use the low B.

7. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Gretsch makes a 30" scale "baritone" that goes for around $400 and actually comes tuned E-E.

8. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    7 string set, gretch baritone,short scale,both useful,thanks.
    I see 2 on their site,
    a jet solidnbody and a spectrasonic hollowbody, sez 29.5" scale,and the tuners look small,like a guitar,these go down to a low E? tuners look a bit small.
    looking further into it,I found out, the intervals are the same as a guitar, but a baritone guitar starts at an A or a B,not as low as E.

9. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Can I just ask why?

Why?

10. [​IMG]

That's another option...

11. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I've actually heard that the new Jaguar basses are great,well,the 4 string ones,that is..Pino's playing them onstage w/ The Who,they have J pu's,active/passive..like the scale too..wonder if the new VI is as nice. The strings are listed as..

Bass VI 5350/6 P/N 073-5350-000 Stainless Steel, (.025, .035, .045, .055, .075, .095.)

Guess it's a light gauge E string,huh?..I remember the spacing was tiny on those, wonder if I could up the gauge on the E and A a bit..that light gauge kinda sucks..that may not be the way to go.
    I may wind up aborting the mission for now..

12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It's not very hard, just get the strings and file the nut to fit the thinner strings. That and a normal set up will be all you'll need to do.

13. fragcon

fragcon

Jun 23, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    do it and tell me how it is =)