Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How has music impacted your life?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Nov 7, 2004.

1. As I apply to a few music schools and universities, I came upon an essay question that surprisingly no one had ever really asked me.

I was just wondering what all of your thoughts on the subject were. I was told by admissions dudes not to fall into the cliche by saying "music is my life" etc. so I wrote on how i developed as an artist and bass player and grew to love producing music,etc.

How has music impacted your life?

Glenn

2. Listening:

When I'm alone, it 'keeps me company'. When I was in the Navy and out to sea, at times I missed my family and shore life soo bad. Listening to music on my portable CD w/ headphones would take me to a place where I could dream of doing the things I missed. Usually it was the Yellowjackets, Spyro Gyra, Rippingtons, (ironically) a group called Oceans.

When I listen to some of my favorite jazz / new age artists, it's as if they're communicating an emotion that words could never convey. So many times, I swear I know exactly how that person felt when they composed certain parts of songs. I truly love that about music.

Playing live:

Right now, I'm just "selling what the people are buying", to help pay the bills, not really enjoying it that much. Used to enjoy it immensely.... planning change things up a bit to keep it fresh.

3. So far it's only cost me money and time, but it sometimes repays me w/ free beer. Aside from that, it brings me joy.

4. being a programmer, playing music frees up my analytical mind.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Through it, I've met some amazing people and offers infinite conversation topics.

Because of it, I've gained perspective and it has motivated me to seek out other viewpoints on things, be they culturally, intellectually or otherwise.

It's provided a soundtrack to my life, as narcissistic as it sounds, there's something about hearing music that fits your mood that makes your emotions feel more legitimate and real.

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    it game me something to listen to and to play? :D

7. The way I see it, my life would be totally different without music in it. I was well on my way of becoming a computer geek,when I joined my first band at the age of 12. If that hadn´t happened, I would probably have gone all the way to the polytechnic. I´d have got my degree and a good job. I´d probably be married and living an ordinary, comfy life in suburbs right now.

But, alas, it was not meant to be. I picked up the bass and started to hang out with artsy types. I lost my interest in computers and stuff, picking up bad habits instead. So here I am, a single, poor, thirty-something university drop-out with a dead end job, who lives in a tiny apartment in the bad part of the city and gigs occasionally with a washed out cover band.

So, would I change it all If I could go back in time?

HELL NO! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    It's been my job for almost 20 years.
    It's taken me around the world, including living in places like Hawaii.
    I own my house because I've been an employed musician.
    I've been married twice (and divorced once) because of music.
    I've learned about beauty, art, passion and joy through music.
    I've learned patience through music.
    I've made the best friends I've ever had through music.

9. I've made a lot of friends through music, and playing with bands has reinforced the importance of relaxing and listening, which I've found quite useful overall. But the coolest thing about music is that it makes me happy -- whether listening to a favorite album, or just playing my bass for a couple of minutes, music has that power to turn a bad day into a good one.

10. I have an impacted quarter note in my right thumb, and it hurts like hell!!:D

Well, let's see. Music was my first hobby, it was my main ability to have friends in high school, it was my first real job, and now I'm going to school for it. Music has not just impacted my life, it's totaled it and sent it off to the wrecking yard!!:eek:

Rock on
    Eric

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its what keeps me sane and happy.

When Im not in a band all the other parts of my life fall apart. I cant work, I cant sleep, I cant eat, I cant even play. I get physically sick from the stress which throws my controll of my diabetes out of whack.

I become the most unpleasant person to be around. I cant put up with anyone unless Im active in music.

I go to sleep listening to music and I wake up listening to music. If it wasnt for music Id probably have gotten into a lot of fist fights because of my mood. The jazz station is what keeps me from flipping out after a tough day at work.

My strongest desire is to drop everything and join a touring band and live life one gig at a time.

As cliche as it sounds, music is my life.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The first scenario sounds like what my parents want, the second sounds like what Im heading for.

Thats perfectly alright with me.

13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Other than the internet it's my only source of amusement since I stopped watching TV. Along with science it's about the only thing that makes the human race worth a damn.

14. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It is the mechanism through which I can release the psychic energy that clogs the emotional center of my psyche. Music is emotion and I can be overwhelmed by it at times. It is the ultimate expression of self.

15. Well for one thing playing music has a attraction towards the oppisite sex
    I mean whether you like it or not if you play good you're gonna get ................... R18
    But that's not the reason we play music is it :D
    We play it cause we love it

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    It's the only thing I actually like (if you don't count TB and watching TV)
    I have made friends through music.

Too bad I don't have anybody to play with :(

17. Music... I've loved music since I was a kid. Listening to music, I always get an energetic feeling and the adrenaline kicks in. I love listening to bass lines, and I love playing them, once again, the adrenaline kicks in when I'm shredding the bass. Music has already taken me on an emotional ride... I've also had to be ruthless because of music. To get my bass, I had to fight. But, thats another story altogether. Music has had a major impact on my life, not as much as some, but an impact all the same.

18. I figured this would get bumped up to Miscellaneous after I posted it. :rolleyes: Silly me.

19. Music keeps me sane (well, almost…) - I just cannot imagine my life without music.

- Wil