How has Talkbass Changed Your GAS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Since I joined TB I have learned about several makers that I did not know about before like Hanewinckel, Skjold, AtelierZ, Beneventen, Elrick and others. I also learned alot more about Lakland. Oddly enough, my GAS is starting to calm down. I love looking at the basses and reading about them, but I think I could be very happy without sinking $3,000+ on a dream bass. The more I look at what I actually do with my basses and how often I play out, the more content I am with what I own, a Lakland 55-01 and a Stingray 5. I could see me with one or two more in the future after I achieve some other goals, but even then, I would be hard pressed to spend more than $1,500-1,800 on a single instrument. That is even more the case now that I know so much more about used instrument sales. On the opposite end of things, I would be very happy with a $200-500 bass if it was the right bass and fit my needs.

As always, I'm not out to put down those who feel differently. I'm just sharing my thoughts. :)
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Before I came here I despised Fender. After I came here, I've been a Fender Fanatic.
  3. Tb put me on to tons of luthiers i never knew about, and in turn, has turned me on to some basses that draw me to them far more than anything did before. Same way with cab makers.

I think TB has made me somewhat jaded about quality as well. I'll no longer settle for a bass with shoddy electronics or questionable fretworkor a cab with a hissy tweeter, but i think this is a good thing because when i play these basses and cabs of much higher quality my playing is at a whole other level and i'm much happier. Let's me get lost in the music ya know?
  4. Well, now I GAS for exotic woods instead of basses.
  5. Only thing i can think of is that i never really liked Jazz basses too much before i came here. I had seen/played only a few i thought were kinda cool. But i finally took the plunge on my first Jazz. I ordered a Jaco Fretless about 2 weeks ago.
    It will be the first Jazz i will own, and the first non-Ric bass i will have bought in years.

Im still very picky when it comes to jazzes though. But before i came here...i would barely give them a 2nd look.
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    True, I especially hated Jazzes, P's were nice, but Jazzes were never my bag of chips. Then I bought my Marcus Miller and may be a complete conver :D
  7. That should have been edited actually on 2nd read. It should have been "on all the jazzes i have seen/or played..there was only a few i thought were cool.

But yeah...the Rics in the corner are kinda giving me odd looks. :smug:
  8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I've come to feel exactly the same way. For my rock gigs, my American Series Fenders and DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow are perfect. I'd be nervous to bring a $2,000+ work of art into some of the dives I play anyway! If I get another bass, it will probably be a fretless.

I am, however, intriqued by Valenti basses due to the variety of options at reasonable prices. Talkbass has definitely stoked that GAS fire (didn't know about Nino's work before), and maybe I'll pull the trigger eventually.
  10. It helped me find Rondo Music and SX basses and that solved my needs for a jazz bass (or two) for cheap.
  11. How did Talkbass change my gas?
    well... it made it a whole lot worse!

*weeps in a dark corner whispering the words Sadowsky, Nordstrand, and Valenti*
  12. Three words:
  13. Im surprised with the statements you guys have made...I would have thought everyone would have said the complete opposite i.e. "Fender sucks, Fodera's fo' life" or something like that...I think TB has definitely made me more aware of other little companies, like LeCompte and Valenti to name a few. I can't tell you how many bassists I talk to who have no idea what a Benevente, or a Nordstrand is, TB really educates you on stuff like that...As for my GAS wellllll it's just been made worse!!!
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I definitely would love to get something from a smaller, less expensive maker like Valenti or that one pup Skjold I like so much. I just don't think that my playing would benefit enough from a bass like a Fodera Emperor or Sadowsky NYC to warrant what such an instrument would cost me. I think about that post that Marqj made when talked about using his Ken Smith 6 for jazz and gospel and his Sadowsky metro for r&b and hip hop sessions, the demands that I will put on an instrument do not match his and my GAS should fit my needs, not those of people that I read about. Talkbass has been great at helping me to see what I want out of music instead of just getting swayed by ads and player endorsements.
  15. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    TB introduced me to FBB. That was the end of GAS (as-far-as basses go) for me.

16. well, it "corrected" my liking of kubickis :D :p and well, with all these ritters and conklins and yada yada yada, its help me respect jazz basses a whole lot now a jazz bass nut
  17. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    As with others, this forum turned me onto luthiers I'd never have even heard of otherwise, such as Carey Nordstrand. Though TalkBass made my GAS fluctuate a LOT, it never quite suppressed the GAS I had for Warwicks since I was 16. Though I have my dream bass in a Warwick, a handmade custom bass by Carey Nordstrand would still be very nice
  18. I really don't think your GAS has to have anything to do with what you need. GAS is just what it is, a want to acquire gear. I think you should spend whatever you want to satisfy your the point where your wallet can handle it :D I don't really NEED an NX7 for what i play...but it would be GREAT to have :cool:
  19. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    It's made me want both a gen-you-wine Ric as well as some sort of moddable Jazz-type bass. Two things that a few weeks ago, I'd never think I could like, at all.
  20. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've certainly been more exposed to "science fair" type custom basses. But at the same time, I've come to realize a good old passive Fender Jazz is really the tone and feel that speaks to me.

I can look at these custom monsters and say "wow, it would be cool to own one of those," but I know I probably won't. Not unless I become independently wealthy. Especially since a more traditional, vintage tone is what I'm after. Preamps and active pickups aren't my thing.