How has the pandemic impacted your playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DrFunkenstien, Mar 21, 2021.

1. DrFunkenstien

DrFunkenstien

Mar 11, 2021
    NJ/NYC
    I’m reflecting and taking stock after a year of working from home and living under quarantine/ social distancing. As a hobbyist who plays mostly at home, for my own satisfaction and distraction, the pandemic has afforded me lots of extra time in the shed. Spared a couple hours commuting, now it is easy for me to squeeze in an hour of disciplined practice each day. Plus, plenty of time to noodle while on Zoom muted and with my camera off, colleagues none the wiser. I feel like I’ve made some solid progress over the past year. If you’re a pro or someone who gigged a lot, I imagine this might feel like a lost or stalled year. In any case, wondering how this past year impacted other folks playing?

CallMeAl and StevieMac like this.
  2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    The duo I'm currently in hasn't played a show since early 2020 and we don't know when it will start up or whether anyone will start up with live music again.

Following vaccinations we will be seeing what, if anything, is happening. We are about to start up with our distanced "porch recitals" aka rehearsals as soon as the weather is warmer so we will again be entertaining the neighborhood once a week for a couple of hours.

DrFunkenstien likes this.
  3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Only played two gigs in 2020. Quite a few were canceled, which we all regretted, because it's a new band with new material that went over quite well. Hoping to pick up the thread come summer, but who knows?

4. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I definitely had periods of feeling very bummed out about the whole thing, with little motivation. But overall I’ve made progress. I’m a weekend warrior, generally found I had little time to work on anything besides the setlist. During the shutdown, I’ve added a bunch of new songs from my personal wishlist (mostly Motown and 70s funk, some new rock), working on my walking and reading, and adding some new grooves and patterns.

I’ve also picked up an electric guitar and started an online blues course. It’s been a ton of fun and definitely improving my musicianship. I also feel it’s directly affected my bass playing; giving me a new perspective, and I think it helps me focus on the pocket and not overplaying.

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I work in the medical biz. I haven't quarantined at all. My wife is in the medical biz. My kids shifted from attending school in person to attending a place that holds after school programs and Summer camps for school. They did their online work at that facility. So we got up and went to work/"school" from day one. We threw on a mask and kept right on moving.

None of us ever got it. (We were tested pretty frequently for both the virus and antibodies.) My wife and I are vaccinated now.

Other than not attending/playing concerts or parties, and restaurants briefly closing here, and wearing masks, pretty much there's no difference in my 2019 life and my 20/21 life.

My playing is unchanged. I had very little time to practice before COVID and have very little time to practice now. When I do, it's learning songs for my church or my band.

6. Our group's experience was a few gigs over summer 2020, which all dried up as the temps dropped in the fall. Now that it's getting nicer we have 12 gigs lined up late April through Sept.

As for my personal playing, I grabbed a pick and decided to add that to my wheelhouse on the bass. With arthritis in my hands getting worse this was a new approach that relieved the "playing pain" I had been dealing with. Instead of gigs over the winter I spent my weekend nights in my music room learning some new stuff. My mediocrity has elevated so that's a positive.

Our company provides cable, phone, and internet so with people moving to working from home we were in a unique position to see growth as people wanted "more" of everything in their house. I've not missed any time at work and through some periods worked more than ever before over the last year.

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2003
    Tenn. & NJ

No, I still suck. LOL

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022