How has your luck been ordering strings over the net?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Dolan, Jul 10, 2000.

1. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    I was just wondering how anyones luck has been ordering strings over the net.I ordered a few sets June 26th and to date,no strings.I also emailed them asking if the order has been shipped or when it will be shipped but no reply.But guess what?They sure charged my credit card.What has your experience been with this and is there a good place to order that has a good selection and turns there orders over quick?
  2. I have bought strings from and also the old mostly strings. Both have been great. I live in Turkey and so have no option when it comes to getting anything out of the ordinary (which means anything not Fender or D'Addario). Answered my e-mails, didn't screw up the special orders, everything arrives intact and in good time. Excellent stuff!

3. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md

I was thinking about givimg them a try.There not that far away from me(Maryland).I just dont like the fact that this company got payment right away but wont return emails.Deduct from my card the day they ship is what I think companys should do.
  4. I always order mine from Musicians friend, and I always get them really quickly (like 2 days using UPS Ground shipping)

"What do you mean there is too much bass?"
  5. I used a company called for the first time a few weeks ago and my strings came in 3 days.
    The only problem is that you have to order at least 3 sets, but prices are good and postage is free worldwide on orders over £20.
  6. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Tuning Peg are the ones that I am having a problem with also.What happenned with your order from them?
  7. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Dolan et al.

I live near Juststrings. They are based out of Nashua.( Hi JMAVRO, brewer9, Wil, and anyone else in Nash that I forgot). They are all really cool people. Everytime I've gone in there wanting to try some new strings they've been very patient with me. Looking things up and finding if they are in stock or not, and they have most everything in stock that's on the site.

Chris A. [​IMG]

"I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin
  8. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md

Thanks for the info.I just wished I had knew about them before.Its kinda frustrating dealing with people who take the money but wont reply to your emails.Its funny how they process that credit card right away but cant give you the decency of a return email.

Where I live you dont have much choice of what kind of strings you can buy.I went in a local music store the other day and they had two brands to choose from for 4 strings and only one for 5 strings.I asked the guy can you order these and he said what do you need and before I had a chance to say anything he went off to the guitar player who was trying to figure out some effects pedal.I paid for a couple of sets and walked.I will try your freinds next time.
  9. I've had problems with The Tuning Peg. They are very, VERY slow. I ordered a set about April 20th and didn't get them until May 15th. JustStrings is a bit spendier, though.
  10. Let me tell you about my Labella adventure with JustStrings. I order a set of 760N black tapewounds for my Rob Allen fretless. However, the E string was too short when it arrived. I e-mailed JustStrings, and complained. They said that the Rob Allen needed a custom E string owing to the particular style of through body stringing, and that if I had told them it was a Rob Allen I was buying for they would have got back to me about this before shipping.

This was the first time I had changed strings on this bass (I had bought it 2nd hand), and I didn't know this.

Anyway, while I was wondering what to do, I got an e-mail from LaBella, who JustStrings had got in touch with, offering to replace the string if I returned it with a custom one...

I took up the offer and the string came.

I have NEVER been more impressed by any retailer/producer relationship ever.

[This message has been edited by Andy Daventry (edited July 11, 2000).]
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can heartily and unreservedly recommend Sheet Music Plus for buying strings. I have been doing this for the last year or so, since I discovered them. They claim to have the largest selection of strings on the Web and I believe them!! Huge selection!

Although they are US-based and I live in the UK, the strings have always come within a week and there have been no problems with any orders - they are well-packed and about half the price of anywhere in the UK that I can buy strings - a great deal!!

I have had problems with other companies that won't ship outside the US, although they don't tell you until you have been all through their ordering process (Musician's Enemy [​IMG] ). I have also bought books and sheet music from SMP and they have packed all of it together with my regular strings order and I saved on postage.

Go to the "Musician's Store" from the home page - you won't regret it:

And, no I don't work for them or any subsidiary (!) I just like to say it, if I get great service!

[This message has been edited by Bruce Lindfield (edited July 11, 2000).]
  12. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Thanks guys for your reponses.Nice to know I have other options.
  13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've had a bad experience with the Tuning Peg also, my second order. Strings weren't shipped, several emails were ignored. I won't use them again.
  14. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dolan:
    Tuning Peg are the ones that I am having a problem with also.What happenned with your order from them?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what I posted on usenet:

I buy a lot of strings for my electric basses. I had been doing business
    with the folks at Strings For Cheap (, and
    they always shipped promptly and had great prices. Unfortunately, they're
    going out of business.

I also had good experiences (at somewhat higher prices) with Just Strings

I discovered a new one, "The Tuning Peg" ( also
    known as (, and decided to give them a try.

That turned out to be a mistake.

My first order with them was placed earlier this month. I filled out the
    order form, submitted the order, and was rewarded with an immediate email
    verification of the order. So far so good.

I waited a week, and the order had not yet been charged to my card, so I
    emailed them. They responded that they were out of stock on the strings I'd
    ordered, but were expecting more in in a few days. I didn't want to wait "a
    few more days" (stringsforcheap always got them to me within a week) before
    they'd even ship, assuming they came in, so I emailed them back immediately
    and said "OK, well if they aren't in stock, then let's cancel the order

No response at all from them.

About a week later, the strings showed up, and they'd charged them to my
    credit card, in SPITE of the fact that I asked them to cancel when the
    strings had not yet even arrived at their site. They should have honored my
    request, but they didn't. I didn't like this much, but decided to give them
    another chance.

That was my second mistake.

I ordered again on Wed, 21 Jun 2000. A different brand and set of strings
    this time. In the "special instructions" area of the order form I wrote:

"If this order is not in stock or will otherwise be delayed,
    please email me immediately.

Thank you."

This text even shows in their emailed order confirmation.

I waited. And waited. The charge didn't show up on my card. On Tuesday
    the 27th of June I emailed them to check on the order. No response.

On Wednesday I emailed them again, this time pointing out that they had
    screwed up my previous order and that I was now a week into this one and
    still unable to find out the status of the order.

Today, Thursday, still no answer from them (and I am unable to find any
    phone number to call on their website). I emailed them again and told them
    that I'd be posting to usenet about my unsatisfactory experiences with them,
    hoping to save some other fool from dealing with them.

So, that's the story. Still no strings, still not charged to my card. I
    fully expect that in a week or so they WILL charge the order to my card and that sometime after that the strings will arrive at my door.

But I do business a LOT on the internet, and the bad experiences have been
    truly few and far between. This place has a lot to learn about doing
    business on the internet, and I wanted you to know. *I* will certainly
    never do business with them again.

Looks like it's back to "Just Strings" for me.

PS: The strings finally did arrive, and they've never responded to ANY of my emails.
  15. I get most of mine from (I live just down the road) and I've had really great service from them. I had an "E" from a brand new set of Pyramids break as I was tuning-up, and returned it to them, and they replaced it no questions asked. They're very helpful, and knowledgeable. The only thing that grates just a teeny-weeny bit is the left-handed (!) arch-top in their logo!

- Wil
  16. I got a really good deal on some Pyramid Golds on eBay, but other than that, I get all my strings from (see other post...)

- Wil
  17. Dolan

May 23, 2000
    Vienna Md
    Man what is up with them people at The Tuning Peg?I have my own buisness and return calls asap.These people will not be in buisness very long I do believe.I guess I will just have to get nasty.I'm sure that will get a reply pretty quickly.I just want a reply saying either were out of stock(which then I will tell them to forget it)or tell me they have been shipped.I have had good dealings also on the net but these people aint one of em.
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would switch to SheetMusicPlus - and quick! Vote with your feet!

Thye are always very prompt and always keep me in touch with emails about the progress of my orders. They definitely have the largest range, compared with the other sites mentioned here.
  19. Actually, they don't. They don't carry
    Gore Elixers, which is what I use on my Lakland fretless, and they don't carry the D'Addario Slowwounds in the current models. For instance, I use the SW2000-5 Slowwound set. The only five string slowwound sets they list are the old series 5000 and 7000 which don't have the tapered B and aren't even manufactured anymore. Perhaps they have old stock.

But they are 0/2 for what I need.