1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How has your musical taste changed over the years?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 12, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    When I was a lot younger, ALL I listened to was oldies. 50's-60's music, all the Beach Boys, The Byrds, etc. etc. etc.

I remember during that time I once heard an Iron Maiden song, and thought it was horrible death metal and HATED the vocals. Few years down the road I got into some jazz, blues, and then from there on I got introduced to classic rock. From Zeppelin to Floyd. More recently I've been getting into Dream Theater, Metallica, Trivium, Iron Maiden..(which I love now..ironic)..

How has your musical taste changed?

2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Of course. Like spirits, a lot of music is an acquired taste (I would venture that nobody liked their first sip of whiskey or gin very much). The same thing can be said of different genres of music: I know that the first time I heard Coltrane, I dismissed it as stupid noise.

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

When I was a teenager, I only liked happy and energetic stuff. Almost automatically rejected anything that sounded like a ballad. Now I think that Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the greatest power ballad ever made and enjoy listening to Supertramp (although I'm not a big fan, but I don't hate them, as I used to).

4. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    A few years ago, I listened to pop and funk and some soft rock. Now it's more metal and it's subgenres.

5. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Growing up it was all Beatles all teh time (thanks mom :smug:). In high school I was dedicated nu-metal & hard rock like Tool, Mudvayne, Sod, Ratm all that. In college I got into jazz and funk. Now its underground sludge, melodic and, doom metal with an overcast of some bebop :p

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Heh.

Until like 2003...just lame metal/hard rock.
    Then I found Iron Maiden.

Totally changed my life.

Then I found Iced Earth, power metal, progressive metal, etc etc

I got into a big progressive/power metal phase.
    then i went into melodic death metal
    folk doom / black metal
    doom metal, lots of it

now i'm into stoner metal and post-metal

I've gotten into post-rock and stuff like that.

I'm all-around really.

i've been getting into jazz and blues, etc.

So i'm definitely not narrow-minded.

I just hate country, rap, hip-hop, pop, mainstream lame talentless rock, and crappy metal.

7. Well, I dont listen to nothing but Black Sabbath and blues anymore, which is what I did when I got my first bass in 1971! :)

I dont hate much, well, 'cept for talentless teenage "stars",( Spears comes to mind) but I ignore that noise.

I am a FUNK-a holic these days.

8. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I put it in the simplest way possible, I don't listen to crap anymore.

9. Lets see...about 2002-2003 it was rap....
    2004-2005 Classic Rock
    2006 older metal Iron Maiden, Metallica, etc etc and some reggae
    2007-Present Reggae,Prog,Ska,basically any type of Metal....i guess you could say my musical genres have all clashed...except for rap...thats totally out

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    [QUOTE='plastik-bass[?]except for rap...thats totally out[/QUOTE]

Bravo. :)

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I'd have to say that it hasn't changed so much as broadened.

I still like all the music I ever liked.

12. When I was first getting into music, I was only really into a few bands (Silverchair, The Presidents of The United States of America, and a few others), then when I was in high school, I listened pretty much exclusively to metal, and I started getting into extreme metal when I spent a year at university (obviously I was having a bad year :D). After my time at university and I decided to instead go to the local college, I began listening to more and more types of music like jazz, some rap, and more progressive, avant-garde, and "weirder" artists. So basically as I've gotten older I started to appreciate and enjoy more types of music.

13. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Until I was 13 or so, I had no musical taste of my own - I listened to what my mom listened to.
    In 1979, at 13 years old, I discovered punk rock.

In 2008, almost 30 years later, punk rock is still all I like.
    I will say that within punk, my tastes have changed.
    I have over the years grown to love only the most extreme forms of punk.

Anything else is unlistenable to me.

And in fact, I consider only the most extreme music to be punk at all.
    Anything less is not punk in spirit, even if it sounds "punk [SUP]tm[/SUP]"

14. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Around 6th grade I listening to hip-hop and rap. My friend introduced me to Jimi Hendrix and that got me hooked to classic rock. About 8th grade I discovered Jaco and jazz fusion. Now (Junior in high school ) Im very much into all types of jazz , funk , reggae , just about anythign that grooves.

15. lol thank you...metal quickly trumped my rap phase...within like a day...:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

16. Metal is all about power. You guys, when you;re 15-20 and have a flood of testosterone flowing in your viens need some of that metal. I morphed from Sabbath to Trower, to ZZ Top, to Stanley Clake, to Steely Dan... to VIVALDI...

and to this day ( Il;m 47), music is still like this kid's world exploring somethign new. Hope it'll be that way until I die at, well, ALOT more than 47.

Trying to get more international in my listening as well. A King Sunny Ade album during college is about it so far.

17. I grew up listening to Southern Rock and British Invasion stuff - it's pretty much all my dad listened to.

A friend introduced me to Rush at about 8 years old or so, and I progressively got into heavier and heavier music. During the teenage years I was such a snob! The only things worth listening to in that era, had distortion and eventually blast-beats. It sort of started at Nirvana and went as far in a Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth.

I joined the Navy, and eventually picked up a second job a Blockbuster (to pass the time while stationed in Pax River).

I remember specifically, we had a DirecTV kiosk in the store, and a Mudvanye video came on, then a Madonna video. I was rockin' out to the Madonna video somehow, and got called on it by a co-worker. I had something of an epiphany, and decided I didn't have to justify why I listened to what I wanted to listen to, to anyone.

Now I don't know that there's anything I don't like in one way or another, with the exception of rap. Aside from the "poetic rappers," I can't stand rap at all.

Pretty much everything else is fair game.

18. FireArm

FireArm

May 17, 2007
    A few years ago I could only just put up with listening to some of the more mainstream metallica stuff - now I love slayer!

19. I listen to more mellow stuff around the house now than I used to, especially since we have a baby. I've come to appreciate the calming effects of alt-country, light jazz or "Soothing Sounds For Newborns" at the end of a long day. But when I'm in the car by myself or at the gym, I still crank all my old favorites. Rush, ALL, Green Day, Megadeth, etc.

20. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I started with the Beatles, then graduated to prog rock, then fusion, then mainstream jazz, avant-garde, then blues and finally I listen to everything that is well played or creative in some way.