How have your aesthetic tastes in bases changed?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TTA, Oct 14, 2021 at 9:02 AM.

1. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    How have your aesthetic tastes in bases changed over the years? What did you like 10-20 years ago… what do you like now? Why do you think your tastes have changed? (Or not changed)

i will start. I used to listen to primus and was very influenced by the carl thompson scroll basses. Lots of wood… multi-laminate necks. Fenders were a bit boring to me. I wanted a carvin or pevey cirrus for a poor mans multilamanite neck. I wanted a fiver cause the bands i listened to played them.

now i find too much wood (fancy burled this and that, flamed everything) a bit gaudy. I no longer crave the multi laminate necks. A rick 4003 is about as fancy as i want things. Fenders are now classic shapes to me and variations of the design trouble me.

i have been leaning away from fancy woods and into solid… often bright colors (blame dingwall). Non fanned frets are starting to look visually strange to me (also blame dingwall).

2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Round to pointy, back to round. Although I do like playing my old Mockingbird from time to time!

3. 600 Ohms

600 Ohms Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2012
    Los Angeles
    The laminate, fancy basses always “sounded better” and “improved upon” the tone of the boring old Fenders etc until one day, you just want something to blend perfectly in a mix, that doesn’t make you too much of a sonic individualist. I would say scores of us have had this change of heart over the years.

4. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    My aesthetic tastes in basses have been changing for 40 years non-stop. "Ooh, I like that one! No, wait, I like that one! Ooooh, there's another!"

TrustRod, rjovin, Herrick and 13 others like this.
  5. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I've always liked the same type of basses, Fenders, Rics and Gibsons so no change I guess. I never liked the pointy 80's things, don't like coffee table basses either.

These would have to be among my all time aesthetically perfect basses:

69pb2-jpg.jpg

IMG_6483_a7b013be-a630-404a-8b99-ea701cb3b092_grande.jpg

1366503.jpg

6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Back when I first started playing bass I saw Stanley Clarke's marvelous Alembic basses.
    Exotic natural woods.
    Gold hardware.
    No pickguards!
    But Alembics where far too expensive for a 20 year old working Warehouse and Fast Food jobs.

Most makers where obsessed with retro styles(F.S.O's)or pointy basses with stripes or lightning bolts.
    It took time for makers to stop with the paint,pickguard and chrome habit and make more natural finished basses.

But it wasn't until 2007 that I no longer had to settle for basses that I didn't aesthetically like.
    T - 131870D0-5135-4DA3-89BD-F3B1C61E5151.jpg

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 11:58 AM
  7. TTA

TTA

Jun 10, 2021
    All classics

bobyoung53 likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

yes, my tastes have changed:
    - then: i wanted the best heavy woods (for the best tones :laugh: ) with an attractive but understated visual appeal, no matter the cost.

- now: i want lightweight axes, and i've come around to accepting more fun 'looks' with some of my axes. and since i've independently discovered that price, quality, and "playability" are three different things = i now save money, too!

Corrington, clickclack, smogg and 2 others like this.
  9. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    Not as much as I would have thought.
    My taste in pickups and preamps have changed more than my taste in basses.
    I used to like passive Jazz pickups (and still do) but I’ve moved on to prefer big ol MM hum buckers with an active pre

scott sinner and Dasgre0g like this.
  10. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I've had other basses at various points, but my main interest has always been Fender and FSO's.

scott sinner likes this.
  11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Pretty much of a traditionalist, 50 years later: Fender P & J's in sunburst or solid color.

scott sinner and bobyoung53 like this.
  12. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    For my first 10 years playing I preferred the shape of the P Bass. For the last 35 years I have preferred the “offset” shape of the Jazz Bass. Pretty significant shift in preference.

13. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Hmmm. Well, calcium carbonate is an old standby.

Oh... well, I was a Jazz guy for years, but have been won over by my Vintera P.

scott sinner and bobyoung53 like this.
  14. Jack Deth

Jack Deth

May 7, 2020
    Missouri
    I used to be heavily (entirely?) influenced by what my favorite players were using because they seemed like mythical creatures put on earth to mesmerize.

Now I only go after what appeals specifically to me (both sound and looks), and could care less what anyone else thinks.

bassballs27 and scott sinner like this.
  15. Reedeaux

Reedeaux

Sep 17, 2021
    TexLa
    Last year I picked up an Aria Pro II "ZZ" bass, out of nostalgia for the one I had as a teen.
    Took it to a friend's house to play and immediately wondered what I was thinking in missing that bass all those years....:thumbsdown:

16. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    While the Ewok and coffee table basses can be well constructed and gorgeous, I haven't cared to add any of these to my quiver in quite some time.

And while I own a headless bass (an old Hohner Steinberger copy... very solid.. joy to play), I don't care to add any more to my collection.

I find myself steadily attracted to classic American styles... and the hot-rodded versions of such.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 12:29 PM
    Justinian and dabbler like this.
  17. Been a PB player most of my life, since the 70’s. I guess you could describe me as “Stuck in the mud”. No, not hardly a muddy toned bassist if you are thinking as such, but meaning I’m not likely about to change anytime soon.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not really other than I like what I like and that's quite wide ranging.

19. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I started playing in the 80s, and therefore liked the aesthetics of the time. I had a purple Mockingbird for a bit, but prefered solid colour finishes and Ibanez basses. Now I like bursts and Hofner violin basses.

20. I used to be all about fancy woods, complex electronics basses… I had my fair share of Custom Shop Warwicks in the past. Now I hate that, I’m all about simplicity: Fender shape, passive, solid/metallic colors on alder. My P bass sits better in the mix than any of the Warwicks I had in the past.

Zbass82 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 19, 2021