Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How healthy are you and what do you do (or not) to be that way?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 2, 2004.

1. I'm nigh-invincible!

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. I exercise a little.

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Average

17 vote(s)
    28.3%
  4. Regular couch potato, smoker....

9 vote(s)
    15.0%
  5. "See you tomorrow" is an assumption.

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I used to be an exercise fanatic, then I did a 180 for about ten years, now I'm getting into being in shape again. How about you?

2. Regular exercise, try to keep a reasonable diet. Besides that, I don't go out of my way to exercise or diet or anything. I'm about average weight, so I just wanna maintain that.

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I consider myself average, but this is in spite if the fact that I am a smoker. I really need to quit smoking and I will be fit - certainly above the 'average' level.
    My diet goals on a daily bassis are: > 100 g protein, > 125% of USRDA Calcium > 100% of the USRDA for vitamins and dietary fiber, and all at a total of < 3500 calories.

My every three day exercise routine is:

Push Ups - done on my fists and done very slowly through the whole range of motion (nose touches the ground, back stays strait) - 4 sets of 20 each

Standing arm curls - done with dumb bells, both hands working together (not right then left) 25 lbs per hand - 4 sets: 20, 18, 16, 14

Sit Ups - 4 sets. 1st & 2nd set = 25 sit ups with a twist motion at the end. 3rd set = 25 strait sit ups. 4th set = 25 reps - strait sit ups if I can / crunchs if I can't keep proper form anymore.

I also do a few other exercises with the dumb bells that target shoulders and smaller muscle groups. I do often times split this workout up over two days in order to add more exercises and not burn myself out - but I always allow three days for rest before repeating a lift or exercise.
    I also hike (short hikes - 3 to 10 miles, love to climb hills and small mountains for speed) Mountain Bike - I like 15 to 25 mile rides. And jump rope (this is the absolute hardest thing I do! - 30 minutes strait of jumping rope and I pour sweat like nothing else!)

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I'm about 5'11 and am 200ish... I could lose some weight... But I'm not outrageously obese.. I can run a mile... I can walk up stairs and not be winded.. etc... I just don't do that stuff often. :p

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think the highest tier on this poll should be "work out constant - eat only carrots" :D

I mean, a TB poll with no carrots option? What is going on around here...

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm 16, and I laugh at you guys for your poor metabolisms. I can eat whatever I want to it and I still won't gain a lot of weight.

Although I exercise a lot. I play on my school's Squash team. (Yeah, Squash, you gotta problem with it.)

It's kind of like racquetball, except with two essential differences: one, the ball is squishy (bounces only about 6 inches if dropped arm length), two, because of reason #1, it takes a brain to play. Don't get me wrong, I like raquetball, I play that too, but Squash is just more fun. It's a really intense game.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    I'm 29 and I laugh at you guys and your teenage know it all attitudes. Give it another 16 years and get back to us on the metabolism thing. :spit: ;)
    I used to live on junk food and never gained an ounce... At the peak I probably had a 10,000+ calorie per day diet going :eek: really - I used to have an ice cream habbit in my early 20's... I had a small gut going then - but then at 27, almost 28 something changed. I tried to quit smoking - got up to about 3 or 4 pints of Ben & Jerry's per day, realized that the metabloism was not working like it used to and I was gaining weight like mad... weird - it used to be that I could eat like that and it wouldn't matter, but the older I get the less that is true... enjoy it while it lasts!

8. considering all the shiat(health wise) I have been through in the last 12 years. I feel that I am doing pretty good .. I am 40, 5-9, 158 lbs and a 29/30" waist. I try to stay fit. I surf 3 or 4 times a week. I go to the gym 3 times a week and I feel pretty good. I use to eat real healthy but gave that up to enjoy life more :) eat drink and be merry!

Fetch!

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Lately, for the past 3 weeks or so I've been working out more and more everyday.

Including, Running a mile(treadmill) daily, Pushups, Curls, and also, I've been experimenting with my mom's Total Gym Pro.

It's pretty awesome, I read all the literature for it, and have been doing some neat workouts, including a simulated hand-stand push-up, that works the same muscles only at a lesser scale, and without the balancing issue, those are burly as hell, I can only do one, with a wall as a prop, but on the total gym(50 degree angle or so) I can do like 10.

So yeah, I've been eating better, I still need to work a little harder to get certain foods out of my diet, but I'm working on it, I've been getting a lot of protein, and have kept a good workout schedule for the past 2 weeks, though this week(and year) has started off poorly, as I didn't workout at all today.

hmm, maybe I'll go running.

oh yeah, I also do a bunch of tendon strengthening workouts, that I have been doing since wootcamp, and they have definitely been helpful.

edit: I wish my metabolism was a LITTLE slower, I'm trying to bulk up, I'm 18 weigh 160 @ 6'4 above feet level

10. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I can drop dead any minute.

11. I'm 54 years of age, 6'1" height, weigh about 220 pounds. Due to my occupation (I'm a building contractor/carpenter), I get quite a bit of daily excercize and stretch up and down a lot which keeps me limber. Given that I do quite a bit of lifting in my work, I've been able to remain quite muscular. I don't have a separate daily excercize routine, but, whenever the urge arises, I can still do multiple sets of pushups, situps, chinups, and can still get out and run without exhausting myself. Most of that weight is not fat, although I have to admit to a slight spare tire around the middle (not unusual for a guy 54), but not a gut. I'm in very good health for my age, so I voted "nigh invincible" which really isn't so because none of us are. I guess I attribute my good health to the fact that I have remained very active physically, have (even as a kid) always really liked to eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables (I'm not a vegetarian though), I drink a lot of water, and have never smoked. I mention all this not to pat myself on the back, but because many people think that everyone's life has to go down the tubes once you start getting up in years. I just want to encourage others that it doesn't have to be so.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am 37, 6'3" and 275 lbs. I have lost 20 lbs since September.

I do at least 35 minutes of cardio, 3 days a week, and try to do one upper and one lower body strength training session each week.

Today being a holiday, I did a 1 mile cardio warmup, full upper and lower body weight workout, and then 1 hour on the elliptical cardio machine.

I am back on the Atkins diet 100% Monday, and hope to lose 50+ pounds in the next year.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Don't even look at numbers my friend. Just work on Atkins, or whatever program you feel comfortable with, be sensible and keep up the exercise.

Feel good about yourself and what you do, and keep it at. What you'll find is you'll be healthier, happier and more energetic. Don't bother with the numbers or the inches.

Trust me.

And good luck to you my friend.

14. I have lost some weight...but I still am a fat ass.

I also don't excerise at all.

Plus,my favorite food is Taco Bell,I'm screwed.

15. The last and only time I ever had a "regular" workout schedule was during my 8 weeks in CG Boot Camp. Having really worked out at all since then (3 years ago), expect for the occasional 10 pushups and whatnot. Other than that, I'm pretty much the normal TV/Video Game/Movie Couch Potato Junkie.

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    i go to the gym twice a week and have a naturally very small appetite. I've been 110 and 5'6 for 2 years now and get very paranoid when my weight goes up or down. :oops:

17. Heh I played a game of American football 2 days ago (bejaysus ye got some crazy rules over there!) and am still stiff! That should give you an idea of my level of fitness. Of course, I'm only 16 so don't seem to gain any weight when I eat.:D I'm screwed once I stop growing!:eek:

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    What do you all do to get motivated? I've been slowly able to increase my exercise level, but it can be really hard to get going.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish I had a clue. I have to make myself go to the gym sometimes, and there is the occasional day where I go to the gym and talk myself out of working out on the way from the car to the locker room.

I have had three periods in the last 2 1/2 years where I stopped going for 3 or 4 months. If I had at least done the minimum 30 minutes 3 times a week in those periods, I would be so much further ahead than now.

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I've done that too Jeff, -my brain can come up with some pretty weird excuses.