How heavy are the Lakland Skyline 55-01's and 55-02's or the G&L Tribute L-2500's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dave64o, Jan 11, 2005.

1. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I currently play a MIM Jazz Deluxe V and after using it for about three years I'm pretty happy with the way it plays and how it sounds. Unfortunately it's really heavy (about 13 or 14 pounds according to my bathroom scale) and its weight is starting to make me think of trading it for something that won't wear me down as much. I've tried different straps (a wide Levy's and even a Comfort Strapp) hoping that would make a difference but neither seemed to help much.

Based on the searching I've done I'm most interested in either a 55-01 or, if I can find one I like, a used 55-02. I'd love to find out how their weights compare to my Jazz. If they're noticeably lighter I might bite. If not, I'm also interested in a G&L Tribute L-2500. I'll have to see what I can find out about their weight too.

2. I've never played a Tribute, but I own an ASAT. I think the G&L should run you about 9lbs, give or take.

3. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My experience is that the #1 consistency problem (maybe the only consistency problem) with the Lakland Skylines is that they seem to vary quite a bit in weight. I would have thought that same body shape + same wood = same weight, but I've felt really heavy ones and really light ones.
  4. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My Tribute L-2500 is swamp ash (cherryburst) and very light. I'd say no more than 8lbs. Very comfortable to play. I've owned a Skyline 5501 before....same thing very more than 8 or 9lbs at the most.
  5. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I have a 44-02 and its pretty light.
  6. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    My 44-02 is very light. My 55-01 and 55-02 are heavier but no heavier than my Dingwall Prima or any of the Warwicks I've owned. Sold the Warwicks - bought the Dingwalls and Laklands. Less weight - great sound.
  7. hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    9.34 pounds on a digital scale (just happened to weigh mine yesterday)
  8. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Thanks for the info, all.

Unless I just missed it, I didn't notice weight under the specs for the basses I was considering. I wonder why the manufactureers don't list it? It's an important factor, so I've learned.

I brought up the idea of a trade to my wife tonight and she asked if it's really that heavy. So I asked her to hold it while I weighed myself prior to weighing me AND the bass. As soon as I let go she said "Oh my god, that's HEAVY." and I got the green light right away.

Now I just gotta find one I like. And sell my Jazz.... well maybe not.
  9. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I got a 55.02 myself and can't say it's really heavy nor is it a lightweight. But since I like a bit of wood around my neck, weight is never a concern for me when I'm interested in a bass. With a little heavier bass I have the feeling I am able to conquer the scene and with a light bass I am afraid to be blown away.... metaphorically speaking.

But it must be said, when swapping from a Warwick Streamer Bass from 1991, the 55.02 is a bit of relief. Heaven't weighed it, because I haven't that thing.... well... in the kitchen for my girl, she wants to weigh some flower and sugar once in while. :D

Sonically speaking, you won't definitely (ever) go wrong with the Lakland in comparison with the Jazz you have. It misses some soul and detailed craft to give it a place in the higher league of handmade basses from 'small-known-but-great-luthiers' but for this amount of money..... > AWESOME!!!
  10. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL