1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How heavy is a “heavy bass”?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geof_, Jan 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. >8 lbs

2. >8.5 lbs

3. >9 lbs

4. >9.5 lbs

5. >10 lbs

6. >10.5 lbs

7. >11 lbs

8. >12 lbs

9. >13 lbs

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    22AE210F-6AA9-46A4-9084-AA2638070A61.

Waltsdog and Helix like this.
  2. Basses are almost always at least 1 lb. heavier than guitars, due to the longer necks.
    It's too bad they're not making more neck-thru with a lighter wood that has similar stiffness to maple.
    The lightest bass I've ever owned (7-1/2 lbs.) was only for one night, because the neck was not in good shape, truss rod was already maxed out.

My current basses are close to 8 lbs. each, and nearly everything else I pick up feels heavy in comparison.
    9 lbs. or a little more I can handle, but it's odd how that breaking point comes quickly between 9 & 9-1/2.

3. Picton

Picton Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    How heavy is a “heavy bass?”

Anything that weighs more than yours.

4. For me 12 lbs isn't that bad at all with a good strap. The levy's super wide is great if it doesn't dig it your neck like it does for me. The scotts bass lessons strap makes my 12.5 lb. Warwicks feel like they're 8 to 9 lbs.

Of course the heavy Ness of a bass is subjective same as musical taste

Mili and byoung93888 like this.
  5. My heaviest is 10 1/2 so I voted 11 and up haha

Mr.Ace and Low84 like this.
  6. geof_

geof_

Apr 25, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I gigged with my brother’s T40 a few times and never fully got used to the weight. My P is closer to 8.5 lbs.

7. n1as

n1as

Mar 29, 2013
    Well, my P is 6.8 lbs. Light with just a touch of neck heaviness (no dive). My Sterling/Stingray is 8.3 lbs with great balance. My Jazz was 8.6 and it was feeling a bit heavy to me. My old SB5000 at 9.5 lbs was heavy and the one before that at over 10 lbs was too heavy. Got rid of it.

My SBMM SUB 4 is about 9.3 lbs. Great balance but too heavy.

So for me, I don't want a bass that weights more than about 8.5 lbs.

obimark likes this.
  8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    My favorite bass for weight is my Hofner Ignition Club at 4.5 lbs.

Balance (neck stays where I put it without support when standing) is more important to me but my upper limit of a balanced bass is 7-1/2 lbs. Anything heavier is out for playing while standing.

geof_ likes this.
  9. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    I voted 9.5 lbs or greater = heavy, and 9 lbs. is now officially my limit when buying instruments. That said, my favorite guitar is 9.5 lbs, but I make a special exception for that one and that one only. Every time I put it on, it feels like putting on a suit of friggin’ armor, lol.

It’s weird, like Killed_by_Death said above, somewhere right in there between 9 and 9 1/2 pounds, you get to that proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back/shoulder. At least for me.

I do actually have one bass, a Jazz, that is also 9.5 lbs., but it’s status is "long term-temporary" (i.e., a ‘non-keeper’, but still hanging around). I bought it used and traveled far to pick it up, and when I finally got my hands on it and literally picked it up, I was like, "Damn this is heavy". But, I figured I was mostly buying it for recording and I could just use it sitting down. However, ultimately, it’s just been too heavy — I don’t even want to pick it up sometimes. I actually ended up also getting a lighter Jazz (9 lbs.) just to have one that I actually feel free to play; meanwhile, the heavy one stays home for seated recording and play but will surely get sold at some point. Nine pounds (or under) really is much more in line with what I’m comfortable with. Over 9.5 lbs, no way

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Killed_by_Death, Sav'nBass and dxb like this.
  10. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    9 and a half pounds is my limit. I do have a bass that weighs 10.2 pounds and it's not intolerable but I very seldomly use it.

dxb and Marko 1 like this.
  11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I voted 10.5

I try to stay under 10, but I had a Spector 5er that was a little over 10 and it was manageable. My first Spector was over 11.5 and it destroyed my shoulder every time I played it. Every bass I currently own is between 9.5 and 10 (the SR5 Classic is the heaviest at 9 lbs 15 oz.) and none of them really bother my neck/shoulder.

B-Mac likes this.
  12. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    They're too heavy when your crocs start giving you blisters or if the strain of holding them makes you sweat through your members only jacket.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I voted 10.5 as 10 is my cut-off. I only own a few near/at that weight and much prefer basses close to 8lbs. Heavy basses can sound good but there are light basses that sound good also and if given the choice - a light bass wins.

B-Mac and dukeorock like this.
  14. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    For my old a**, 9 is the limit.

Shawn Luckman and dukeorock like this.
  15. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    A heavy bass -- like my '75 Jazz -- is one that warps space-time and causes black holes to cower in fear.

bobba66 likes this.
  16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    My heaviest is a relatively light 9 1/4 lb. It will remain my heaviest.

17. 11.

That's Page's Magick number and what Nigel Tuffnel's amp go to!

DeliriumTremens likes this.
  18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    There are so many great basses that come in around 9.5 to 10 pounds, like the majority of Stingrays, that I can live with that. Over 10 it starts to feel heavy.

B-Mac and geof_ like this.
  19. baileyboy

baileyboy

Aug 12, 2010
    For me, weight is the number one consideration for a bass, above everything else. If I can't gig a whole night with it, it's too heavy. This weeds out quite a bit of what's out there. 9 lbs or less seems to work well for me.

20. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements but would love a few ;-)
    I said 10.5 as that is what my Warwick Custom Shoo Masterbuilt Corvette $$ NT weighs and it pushes the limit of a 51 year old guy with legit back issues...my lightest is my Kiesel AB4 at around 8.5.

B-Mac likes this.