Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How helpful is the Bass Gear Review Archive to you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    While I love the BGRA and think Matt Schmill does a great job maintaining the site, sometimes I think that some of the things that get posted do not count as "reviews" per se. I mean, one single paragraph is basically a comment, which is hardly helpful.

A reviewer is basically a person trying out something for you; and the range of feelings a bassist has can't be limited to a single paragraph.

Do you sometimes wish the reviews were more thorough?

Here's a link:

http://www.bgra.net/bass-rev.php

2. In all honesty I don't think I have bought a bass with out looking at that page and HarmonyCentral.

Better reviews would be nice but for the most part they are not bad.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You don't see many bad reviews, seems like a lot of the reviews at BGRA and HC are are from people with newly-purchased instruments and their reviews seem a little too... glowing. I still look at them though.

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've referenced it many times and have found it interesting at the very least. I have questions about how USEFUL the reviews are due to the lack of negative or seemingly "real" comments. I'd be much more interested in a database of reviews generated by objective users, not owners. I myself fall prey to being overly optimistic about my own gear...especially when I've paid big $$ for it...

5. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    A feature that I think might be helpful is the ability to poll readers of the reviews to either "agree" or "disagree" and "why". It could actually turn into a board like this one, dedicated to gear reviews. I say this because I base the integrity of info I get there on several reviews with similar comments.

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Not very helpful at all. I hardly ever visit it anymore. Too many 100's.

7. I look at it - but since I've never seen anyone advertise they bought a crappy bass I try to read all the reviews and then look here and a couple of other places.

There are too many 100s - here's a review of a Jay Turser MM copy. The reviewer gave it all 100s except for apeparance (90%) :rolleyes:

I bought this bass for an experiment to see how close I could get to the feel of a real musicman. These basses are an excellent value for the dollar. Very close to the original in dimensions and playability. The neck was very playable with just a little adjustment and setup. The instrument is very light and can be played all night with no shoulder pain. I installed a Seymour Duncan bassline setup and went looking for real musicman owners to see what they thought about it. Most of them couldn't believe the quality, playability and tone of the package. In some cases it sounded better than a real musicman but never sounded worse (as if any musicman could sound bad). This is an excellent instrument and with the addition of the preamp/pickup combo it's hard to beat for around $500 dollars total cost. You will definately piss-off some stingray owners when you tell them you've got $500 in the setup. Check them out!

Caveat emptor,

allan

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's a valuable resource if you know how to sort out the reviews.

By that, I mean, some reviews give solid, technical, reasons for praising/dissing gear. OR, the reviewer has been through enough music stores for many years to sort out the hype from what really delivers. On the other hand, too many people are suckers to the Pygmalion Effect - "I own it. Therefore, it is good."

As Oyster says, there is too much hyperbole. But that is just human nature. How many people are willing to go online in front of literally, the world, and say, in effect, "I'm a dumbs**t for buying this junk."
    Then there are people. (like me; smirk, smirk), who will call a spade, a spade, and say their buying decision was flawed. But, what the hell? I buy better stuff now because the sound I got wasn't what I heard in my head and I knew it.

A significant factor to consider is - Was it the gear that sucked??? or the player???

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    See, I usually go online and bitch about my mistakes in gear selection in the hopes of CRUSHING the company that sold me the gear. Hasn't happened yet though, but I feel better after.

10. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I really pay little attention to it, Like the other guys said to many 100's. I think its hard to trust when you see a a crate bx10 (sorry if you own one,just an example) or whatever get super high stellar ratings. At the same time it may be great as a bedroom personal amp so there is no qualification for its intended use. The more experienced players usually do a good job on their reviews but to a newby or less experienced player it seems like almost everything is great.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I dont pay too much attention to gear reviews,since what I like someone else may not,and vice-versa.If Im going to spend big $ on something,I'll review it myself and form my own conclusions.

12. I used to read them, but there are very few that are helpful. For most of us it's difficult to be objective about something you just spent your own money on.

I actually prefer to get the opinions of those here on TB. It could be a great resource to have the manufactures listed and have folks with any experience with the brand provide their insights and experiences. It would also be cool if when someone provides a particularily insightful review or comment on a product to have a "button" that sends that review to the product archive. So if I want info on a brand or model, I have the benefit of reading many folks POV. Kinda like a focused search engine...

Jeff

13. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    I have been having a problem with my aged, pawn shop gear. I found some one with the same head and similar speakers on BGRA. I sent him an e- mail, and we exchanged back and forth, and i am now fixing the problem with my gear! Some advice from a fellow bassist helps.

14. I find BRGA and HC reviews most useful if they provide information not only about what kind of rig they use, but what kind of music, venues etc. I tend to give more weight to someone who has been playing for years and who seems to have a bit of an overview. It's also helpful if the sound a person describes can be referenced against well know recorded music, or a provided sample. Although the rating system seems to be stuck on 10, it's kind of like the scoring in some olympic events. If it's common practice to rate good things 10, what about GREAT things? 10.1?

Here on TalkBass I use the profile button to find some of these things out (I'd love to see a # of years played, styles of music played category in the profile). If you read the forums regularly, you start to get a sense of who's who, who plays what and how much their opinion is worth to you. With that knowledge, I've found the forums and archives very helpful.

There is a down side to TB vs BGRA. At least the reviews there (BGRA) seem to be based on real experience. There are many posts here that aren't, they simply parrot what that person perceives as the prevailing opinion (as they would like it to be). There's also a lot of blanket " ___ sucks" and " ___ rules", much of it based on the same perceived "majority" opinion (and maybe 5 minutes at Mars). After awhile you can identify these kinds of post fairly quickly and skip right over them.