Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How high can I tune this sucker?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a Warr 8 string, and I am experimenting with tuning. I'm going for FCGDAEBF#, but I can't get the F# up to pitch before the string pops. I'm using an .008. Daddario makes a .007. Is it possible to tune a .007 up to an F# at a 34" scale?

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Looking at your long list of pedals and effects, perhaps no one will be able to tell that it's out of tune.

Just kidding.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hehe... but I will be able to tell it is out of tune. Ever seen Nigel Tufnel's guitar solo that he does with the violin? Classic.:D

4. Well, a smaller gauge string feels looser than a heavier gauge string tuned to the same note (example, A). So I guess a smaller gauge string can tune higher before snapping. I'm just assuming, it's worth a try I guess.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    How high can you tune it? As high as you like. If you're on a plane for example, you'd be tuning it pretty high. Or perhaps tune it on the top of a mountain - that's pretty high too.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Wow.... getting alot of really informative posts here :rolleyes:

I was asking if anybody knows if a .007 string can be tuned to a high F# at a 34" scale. Does anybody have some real info to share? :cool:

7. having no experience with any string lighter than a .040, i can only tell you that you'll be able to tune the .007 higher than the .008. can't comment on whether it'll be able to get to F though.

what brand of string are you using now? it seems possible that different brands may have different tensions (or at least different tensile strength) even if you're dealing with the same gauge...

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm using Daddarios right now.

9. That was the greatest part in that movie!:D :D

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    It's official: you can't tune a .007 to F# on a 34" scale. Guess I have to do a D instead.:mad:

11. but now we know.

and knowing is half the battle...