How High do you hold your Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SpecialEd, Nov 4, 2002.

How high/low do you hold your bass?

Poll closed Nov 14, 2002.
  1. Up around your pecks

11 vote(s)
  2. Just below your pecks

27 vote(s)
  3. Mid abdomimal

36 vote(s)
  4. Crotch

19 vote(s)
  1. I am curious to find out where the best place to hold your bass is. I have had some people tell me that high is good in that it decreases your chances of Carpul Tunnel. Then on the other hand I see many people playing with the bass down by there crotch. Where is the happy median?
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Um, between your crotch and your chest? ;)

I recently lowered my strap when my chin stubble started scratching the upper the horn.

Well, it wasn't that high, but I still wear it around my chest.
  3. So what is your take on the "Golden Posetion" (and I am not talking about sex)
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    get the head of you bass at the level of your shoulders, and mess around with the angle. find a nice one. after a while change it, and see if it`s better.
  5. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    The lowness of your bass is inversely proportional to how good you are. People who have the thing dangling around their crotch or lower should just be shot. It's kinder that way.
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm sure there's not one position that suits everyone - there are a lot of factors to consider, such as the size and weight of your bass compared to the size (eg. arm length) and weight (eg. curvature of the belly ;) ) that will range from person to person.

My normal playing position is similar to:

... the body at mid-abdominal level and the headstock floating towards the top of my head level. Works for me :)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What are pecks?!?!? :confused:

I wear my bass <b>c</b>hest-high, the neck angled at roughly 45°.

[EDIT] damn, typos always occur in the most inconvenient situations - thanks Superduck :p
  8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I believe he means pecs, as in pectoral muscles. What's a hest? ;):D

Ed, as I said, my "Golden Position" is around my chest. No one can tell you where it will be for you. Adjust your strap, and play with that for a week. Then lower it or bring it up, and see how you feel. Adjust it until YOU are comfortable. Having it too low will be killer on your left wrist, and too high will be hard on your right wrist, and made you look like a geek. (I look like a geek.)
  9. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    <<<<<<<<<< My Avatar is how I wear my bass.
  10. about waist high. makes picking easier.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It will also have a detrimental effect on your back if you are stooping over all the time to play, with that weight around your shoulders.

You need to be able to stand up straight and play comfortably - if you can't then it's definitely too low!!
  12. I play where it's comfortable for me - and this just so happens to be groin/crotch level. That's what has tailored where I play my bass - not pose value or anything else, simply comfort!
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am always adjusting...Up...Down....Up....Down.

But the knee-bangers...How do you do it?

Advil, Motrin, Bayer? Or under 30?
  14. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I wear mine like how wulf wears his. I use to wear it lower, but I just find that it's more comfortable, while higher. It also makes reaching all of the frets. (espcially the higher ones) way more easier.
  15. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I wear my bass between my chest and my stomach... but I lean more on the upside... feels better that way
  16. joel

joel Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2002
    i find its easier to solo if my bass is up "on my peck"

it really depends on what mood i'm in and what kind of music im playing

17. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    i saw a guy playing about a year ago who's bass was actually resting on the ground some of the time during his set.

what a clown.

i'm not kidding!

i think it was the band's first ever gig - and it was really apparent that he had been working on this.

i sat there thinking 'there's no way this guy plays like this at home/at rehearsal/etc.'

anyways - got a laugh just now remembering that - i wear my bass in such a way that my belt buckle is pretty much right behind my pups. i guess this is typical, judging from used basses that i have seen.

18. ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Heh It roughly makes the bass the same height as when I sit down and play so thats how high I end up straping it. Much easier to play like that in my opinion.
  19. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY

same here, i adjust the angling to fit what i'm playing. i think the angle you have your neck at is equally important as the height of the bass when deciding playing style.