Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How high do you wear you Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Ive noticed that some people tighten their strap all the way and wear it like a bowtie, and others Let the strap hang so their arm is almost straight while playing. How do you wear it, and are there any benefits either way?

2. joejet

joejet

May 1, 2003
    Denmark
    To me, there's only one rule - it has to be as comfortable as possible. If something feels akward, you're doing it wrong.

So, don't wear it too low, so you'll have to strecth your left hand too much and have less control of your right hand, nor too high, then your shoulders will be in an uncomfortable, not relaxed position. So it's a balance, simply.

3. Bass too high: Plucking hand problems.

Bass too low: Fretting hand problems.

I wear it in the middle, just over my belt buckle, so I get those extra sweet belt buckle scratches on the back of my bass.

4. ClarkW

ClarkW

Aug 1, 2003
    Provo, UT. USA
    I wear mine so that my fingering hand is located just below the solar plexus area. No belt-buckle scratches that way. :)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you do a search there have been loads of threads asking the same question - if you want to know the answer, then it might be an idea to check these out first.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wear mine kinda high, it depends if im using a pick or not. If i am ( usually when i play tool) then it isnt that high, maybe Flea height.

7. I put the strap so it is at the same position when Im sitting down and when im standing up. Any higher and it hurts my wrist, any lower its pretty hard to do any techniques other than downstroke picking (most punk bassist COUGH COUGH)

8. I used to wear the bass down near my knees, but that was back in my death metal days. My playing was even sloppier than it is now. :eek:

9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I wear my bass fairly high.. higher than Rick wears his bass... but thats what is comfortable to me and thats how I play my best

11. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Yea... what they said;^)

It should be 'Comfortable' for YOU to hold and play.

Trying to 'look' cool with it down at your knees - especially sporting a pair of those nifty bicycle gloves - is for high school kids that read too many Thrash and Speed Metal magazines or; amateurs concerned more with appearance than the quality of sound and playing...

Personally, I start with the strap attached to the 'butt' end button, and adjust the length so that the other end just reaches the first fret. Hang over my shoulder, play some, adjust accordingly... it usually ends up around the second fret or so.

Anyone taller than 5'6", strapping on my bass, will typically find it so high they can almost rest it under their chin;^o

I'm the short guy playing bass... michael s.