How high do you wear your bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 22, 2001.

1. Chest.

86 vote(s)
  2. Waist.

172 vote(s)
  3. Balls (best descriptive place word, but female players also can vote!). ;)

100 vote(s)
  4. Knees.

12 vote(s)
  5. Other (please specify).

13 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Just curious to know what is the general tendency on this. Thank you for voting. :)
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I voted "waist" but it's really a bit above the waist but not on the chest. So really, it's "tummy."

It's a bitch finding 17 1/2" neck shirts with 36" sleeves off the rack, meaning, I'd like to wear the bass a little higher but my doggone arms are too long.

Alvaro, still in love with your BB75?
  3. Same for me Rick. High enough to reach everything without undue stress on the wrists, low enough not to look like a bow-tie.

Of course, I am nowhere near the size you are.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Sure, Rick. I've found that Carvin is now offering Piezo bridges with improved electronics and i say
    "¿why they didn't before?". But i have no complaints yet. I'm very happy with my instrument. In other words: When i decide to improve, i will do a BIG jump. (which means $$$$. that's the "little" problem and that's why i don't know when will do this.)

BTW i voted for chest, as surely all of you noticed. :)
  5. rickbass

I got an LB75 a little after you got yours, (Dec.). I don't loose any sleep over it. I don't have much use for an acoustic sound but I like it. If I got serious about it, I think I'd study what Jonas Helborg uses. He has a great acoustic sound.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Me too - a bit over the waist. From there I can reach everywhere on the fretboard without stressing my wrists and fingers. Nice on my shoulders too. All in all very comfortable position.
    It doesn't exactly look "rock n' roll", though, but who cares when you're only rehearsing? (Who cares at all? :))
  7. mullet_head_81

Jan 27, 2001
    I put knees, but it's really on lower thighs, kinda like Metallica? It just looks so much sweeter.
  8. BassDude24

Sep 12, 2000
    I used to just put my bass as low as the strap I had at the time would allow, then I saw a video of myself and thought (man I look like a dumb ass), I also noticed that when I tried to play hard stuff that it really was uncomforatable.

So, one day I decided to change. I took my strap off of one horn and pulled my bass up untill it was where I thought it felt the best (for my left and right hands) and that just so happened to be at my waist.
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Chest is the way to go, for me.

I used to be in a metal band, and had it as low as the strap would go, which is about balls, but I couldn't play for crap. (Not that that matters in a metal band)

I've found that playing higher up dramatically increases your ability to play.

But that's just me.
  10. rickbass

Not really Super. Me too. I don't want to start a flame war, but in all the years of playing, I've yet to see any of these guys who have it placed practically at their ankles who is worth squat as a player. As a poser, they're great. :rolleyes:
  11. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Quite frankly, it only looks stupid wearing a bass that low. IMO, of course.
    Actually, I enjoy wearing my bass as high as possible, but at a certain height my shoulders get stressed and I have trouble breathing with my bass pressed against my chest. But the higher it went, the better control I had. I just had to compromise between playing comfort and ability to breathe... :)
  12. i agree with the about waist crowd, i used to were mine low until my wrist started to hurt. i brought it higher and my wrist stoped hurting. then about a week later i noticed i could really burn on the neck.
    it also helped to get rid of a bit of fret noise because my fingers were at a stronger angle.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I have it so that the bass position does not change when standing up or sitting down.
  14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I voted chest. I have fairly short arms and fingers, so wearing my bass chest-high helps a lot.
    I wear my bass a little higher than Wooten does, but not as high as Bill 'The Buddha' Dickens. But I'm constantly changing the height a little. Seeing Dickens on his video made me wear my bass a little higher again...
  15. Sampoerna

Sampoerna Guest

Oct 9, 2000
    W. KY, USA
    From the get-go, I've been wearing my bass as high as I can get it (think Sir Paul), but had to settle on something closer to the way it is in my lap (as CS does).

[​IMG] For females, wearing a bass up high can be a bit of a problem. [​IMG] Granted, my problem(s) aren't that big, but it's still prone to be uncomfortable if I'm not careful. Heh.[​IMG]
  16. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    The "chest" option describes where I wear my bass pretty accurately for me. I have a small, I guess the best word would be "callous", or just a mark on the left side of my breastbone that I've developed from the bass resting there for so long. It's a mark of pride. <lol>
  17. Up another vote for waist. That's as high as my strap lets me go, and I'm perfectly comfortable with it. :D
    Provided, I got my strap in the US where people are generally bigger & taller than us Asians. All the straps I can find here in Hong Kong can go MUCH higher, but I've gotten used to the height I have it at now. :)
  18. balls all the way (a bit up so i dont hurt the boys jumpin around and headbanging). if i put my bass at my chest i feel and look like a goof and cant play very good. so i keep it nice and low, as far as my strap can go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.