Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How high is your electric bill in the summer?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 30, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    For the past few months mine has been about $60 tops. All of a sudden this month, I got one for $116! :bawl: Now, we've been using the AC, and I have two dehumidifiers which I WAS running pretty much all the time (one non stop, the other would run for 4 hours, shut off for 4 hours and repeat) but now I'm alternating days to try and cut back. I would think that that was the cause, but we were running the dehumidifiers and AC during the last billing cycle too and we only paid around $60.

How bad is yours?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Check your filters in the AC. If you haven't changed them in a couple of months, they are probably filthy--and, probably account for the higher power bill.

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    several hundred dollars..
    300-500...
    Two central air conditioners in a desert where it routinely hits 110+ and the electric company is a bit greedy. :bawl:

4. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I average about 150 dollars a month for the year.
    I have LIPA here on Long Island; land of crooks, thieves and other wealthy criminals :mad:

5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I believe we consistantly have the highest electrical bills in the country on Kauai. Ours is around $250 a month for a small 3 bedroom house. This summer has been crazy hot, I can't imagine what bigger houses or large business pay.

6. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    $700/month in new jersey and I have no idea what we pay in Long Island, but probably $100 or less.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Last year, on average, we were paying around $300....this year (cause we have an indoor Rottie) we change the filters more often and I installed a digital thermostat - we're paying about $170 to $200.

I am expecting a brutal set of bills in the winter.

8. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah...according to my mom's nagging, LI get's like 300-400 (at its pinnacle?) for a 4 bedroom house with a finished basement...but I'm at school now; MOM CAN'T CONTROL THE THERMOSTAT NOW!!!! :::does a little dance:::

oh yeah, last night our a/c shorted out the wall cause we had it going full blast for 3 days. we came in drunk at 3 in the morning and had to go through fuse panel wall by wall of the suite to figure out which switch it was and how to turn it back on. my mom is so consistently right it sickens me lol.

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Wow, some of you are paying alot more. Good idea on the filters. They're only maybe a month and a half old, 2 months tops, but I'll check.

10. $200-$250 power bills during the summer, but I have an old, inefficient system which I'll be replacing next year, so that should help. What's really insane is the gas bills in winter.

11. My last bill was $64.00 :hyper:

But I only run one a/c unit in my bedroom, and have a couple of fans blowing in the living room.

I can't wait to see what the heating bill is going to like this winter though. I made the switch to natural gas a few years back, I hear home heating oil is going to be very high.

12. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Luckily I'm on an oil cap plan, so I know what my heating will be like.

I almost wonder if it is the dehumidifiers that are sucking up alot of the power. As I said, I had one running 24/7, and another one turning on and shutting off every 4 hours.

13. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wow, you all pay way too much :p. Of course, I imagine part of the $34K a year I pay to "live" here is electric...

-Ray

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Luckily, my landlord pays electric, trash, and water. We don't have an 'allowance' either. I'm just wondering when he'll decide to raise rent.

15. Wow! I didn't know anyone still had electric bills in the double-digits!

I haven't paid an electric bill that was under $300.00 in over ten years!! I just sent our electric co. $390.00. That's for a two bedroom, one bath house; we do run a window unit (AC) in the summer, but that's the only seasonal difference in elec. consumption and it doesn't seem to make any difference one way or another on our bill. The elec.co. swears I'm not losing/supplying electricity to anyone else, but no one else in my area has bills even anywhere NEAR mine, even my friends with "all-electric" domiciles!