1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How high/low do you have your bass strap on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Jun 26, 2014.

1. My Geddy Lee bass is slung on my shoulders as close as to what Geddy does.

My MIM is a bit lower since it feels like my non-Rush jamming/gigging bass

2. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Bottom of the bass sits just below my waist. Main body on my belly. Not too high, not too low. Very comfortable, able to play anything I need to without straining.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    My basses sit so that the input jack is about at my pocket. Or I guess, pickup at the belt buckle on a P. Comfortable enough to get all the way up the neck, but low enough not to look too dorky. I like the height geddy wears his.

MovingPitchers likes this.
  4. All the way down!

5. LFG247

LFG247

Nov 10, 2010
    Cleveland, OH
    It's best for me to make it so it is the same height as if I am sitting down playing. I practice sitting down if I'm at home, so I want the performance to be just as comfortable on the wrist, and muscle memory kicks in better than if it were lower.

maestrovert, bassrich and FretNoMore like this.
  6. The Geddy position is perfect for me: when I sit down it's almost the same height so muscle memory comes back quicker and my wrist doesn't hurt

KingKrabb likes this.
  7. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I've thought about that before, but usually when I sit down, I end up leaning over my bass. So if that were to apply, my bass would literally be on my chest. No bueno, mucho dorko. So I practice standing usually. Or laying down. Or however, at least I can say I'm practicing :thumbsup:

Mikaelbass likes this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Basically same as sitting height. Not as "cool" as some rock players but works well for both fingerstyle and pick playing.

maestrovert likes this.
  9. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    I grew up loving all forms of rock, and the band I play in does 80s rock so I sling my bass like a rocker! See my avatar.

fourstringgirl and Mikaelbass like this.
  10. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Low.

11. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    Pretty darn low, with the top of the bass at about my waist. Gangly long arms and big hands on this guy.

SeamzKing likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    About to where I have my right hand at belt level. That's where it's comfortable to me. Wear it where it feels comfortable to you and don't worry about what anyone else does.

13. I have it so that the neck plate is right over my bellybutton, and the neck angled anywhere from 30 to 45 degrees. Both my wrists are dead straight that way, so I have no carpal tunnel issues.

14. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    I guess I'll buck the trend. I usually wear my basses pretty high. If I had my shirt tucked in at a gig, which I never do, you could see my belt buckle. I'm working on wearing it lower, but sometimes that just feels weird and then I play like crap, LOL!

I actually had a guitarist from a touring band we opened for say to me "I could tell you were gonna be a good bass player when I saw how high you wear your bass...". I really wish I could've seen the look on my face. It was probably :eyebrow:.

15. I usually put mine so the bottom of the neck pickup is around my belt buckle and the headstock is just under shoulder height but if I'm slapping it comes up a couple inches.

16. tunewriter

tunewriter

Jul 26, 2012
    Well, I hate it, but I was not blessed with long arms or big hands. To make matters worse, I have a long trunk. With all this working against me, I still wound up playing bass. My bass hangs about where it would be if was sitting down. When I try to be cool and wear it lower, I wind up playing poorly and make more mistakes. In the end, it's all about the music. Just hope I don't look too dorky. lol

17. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    as low as it will go, and then lower still. lived in seattle too long, gangly long arms too. just whats comfortable for me

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    This.

19. Classic69

Classic69 Banned

Feb 25, 2014
    I have straps made 43" keyhole-keyhole and that dimension works for me, where I want the instrument to be.
    Once you get a comfortable position, that is the essential measurement.

Some like it low; I prefer mine to where the upper bout position works for me.

( I like to post pics of my straps!:smug:)

YMCiferStrapsm.

20. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    Same here, only when I sit down I put my bass between my legs, not no my leg like most. So when I'm standing the bass is slung way low with the head up almost to my shoulder.

bholder likes this.