How high/low do you wear your strap?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by skewh, Sep 16, 2005.

1. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    How high do you wear your strap? Personally I wear it so that the upper horn is even with my left pectoral muscle, something like eight inches down from my left shoulder. The height of the strap makes it much easier (for me at least) to reach the upper frets as well as to do harmonic chords.

But what about you?

Edit: Here's a visual aid in case it is hard for you to see what I mean.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The same height as when I play sitting.

Here's a pic.

3. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    the center of my bass body is pretty much nads-height... fairly low by the standards of many other talkbassers it seems, but not especially low compared to some... for me it's a position that provides the right mix of comfort and playability

and I like to be able to slice a layer of prejudice off people who were expecting to hear a root-note pick-playing moron... it's good to have ones assumptions challenged at times (points to Scott Thunes)
  4. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
  5. I usually wear my strap on my shoulder (hey, someone had to say it)..

About the bass, if I play sitting for too long, I get cramps in my right forearm (I play righty), so I wear it about 4-5 inches lower than if I was sitting, so the lower horn is just above my crotch (I can say "crotch" here, eh?).
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm about the same. Nothing feels worse to me than having a bass stuck up my armpit and my right arm bent to an extreme.
  7. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thats my technique. I adjust the strap so that the bass is in the same position whether I'm sitting or standing.

I like mine high and generally try to get my students to at least try wearing the strap high. I feel like it gives you a good chance at playing the whole fretboard, and remaining injury free.

I have no problem with someone who wears thier strap low because thats whats comfortable for them. I do have a problem with people who wear their strap low because they think it looks cool. And most of those are root and fifth players. But everyone is different and if you can play some funky stuff with your bass around your ankles I'll give you your props, and a hand off the stage....cause you'll probably need it. ;)

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ it's easier to slap up high IMHO
  9. Seigi

Jul 3, 2005
    I wear mine as high as it goes, but I'm a bit short, so it's a little bit low on me.
  10. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    ??? I'm having a little trouble visualizing that.
  11. xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    a little lower than that..
  12. i wear it centered to the crotch.. so that i could play naked :)
  13. Sturge

Sep 10, 2005
    Liverpool, England
    I used to play down by my groin but I found I had a lot more control if the bass was higher, so now it's about the same level as Skewh. Must remember to lower it again next time my Queens Of The Stone Age tribute band plays. :eek:
  14. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Down below my waist because that's metal.

Actually I wear it about stomach height, with the strings a tad above my waistline and the neck tilted up so the headstock is a bit below my left shoulder. Thats the most comfortable for me.
  15. same height as martini aka if i had boobs the right one would hang over the top perfectly :p
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Elaborate please.
  17. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    This height...

...and if I happen to break a string, so what. :D
  18. I lay it on the ground and play with my toes. I'm. Just. That. Metal.

Actually, it's pretty much centered on my stomach. It's at a sharp angle though, so the upper horn is right at my left nipple, and the bottom corner of the bass just about covers my manly bits.
  19. ^LOL manly bits.

I play with my bass about the same height as when I sit, maybe a little lower. The lowest point of the bass is right at my belt.
  20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile