1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Hot is the SD SPB-2 Compared to the G&L MFD?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JN8642, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Hey folks,

So for the past two years I've been experimenting with hot output Pbass pickups, and after tonight's practice, I think I may be fed up with them?

I've tried a ton and have loved MFD's the most, I adore the heaps of low end they give and how full they are and want to try to keep some of those aspects but I think it's time to try something less hot and perhaps save my love of hot things for my food tastes (hehehe I'm not funny...). I use a lot of effects and am pretty tired of overloading half the dirt pedals I try and really don't want to use a comp or clean boost or etc to tame the high output pickups.

The SPB-2's seem to get a lot of love on here, compared to the MFD's, are they not as hot but still full?

If we can try to keep this thread within the vein of the SPB-2's output vs the MFD's output I'd appreciate it.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The SPB-2 has a fatter tone, and a little more output than a typical P-Bass pickup. The G&L MFD has more output than the SPB-2.

JN8642 likes this.
  3. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Thank you! I've never heard one in person before