How Hot Should a Head Get

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickbass, Apr 25, 2002.

1. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    I was playing with some actual volume today (a rare occourance because everyone is allways home and wont let me), and having not used my new head at a higher volume I have no idea how hot is too hot. It was hot enough that when I put my hand on the top of it where the little vent is after a few secconds it was at a temp that was fairly uncomfortable. So my question is how hot is too hot?
  2. incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    What kind of head??? I would imagine that most modern heads have a thermal cutoff that would shut it down before it would get hot enough to do damage. Also tube heads probably run warmer than solid state heads.
    Sometimes if I am pushing my amp real hard under hot stage lights it will get pretty hot to the touch (could rest your hand on it and it would be mildly uncomfortable) but I have yet to trip the thermal protection circuit.
    Check your manual (if you have it) there should be some mention of a "protection" circuit if it has one.
    I wouldn't be too concerned about it though......making power produces heat so the harder you push your amp, the warmer it will get. Just make sure the fan is working (if it has one) and make sure any venting slots or holes are unobstructed.

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    my aguilar db 359 will cook an egg, but it's tube. they get hot. most solid state will get warm but shouldn't be burning flesh hot.
  4. Depends exactly where you're touching. But 100C would not be out of the way.

5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Have you seen the Stewart 1.2? Behind the front panel, it's all heat sink.
  6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    SWR heads are designed to give everything within 10 feet a nice sunburn.

What head are you using?
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The outside of the head being hot is a GOOD thing it means that heat is being conducted away from the inside.
  8. I was playing a gig outsede in 115 F degree heat with the SWR sm400s wide open and the front panel was too hot to touch after the set. My furman line conditioner blew up during the next set, but the amp kept cranking.
  9. warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Thanks for the info... the head is a nemisis combo amp turned into a head, just untill i can buy a wt800. its solid state, and i guess it does have the thermo protection. I just havent had much experiance with amps. i played threw a peavey mark 4 1x15 combo or a long long time and nothing else.... the thing never even got a little warm.