Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How humid is too humid?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Jeff Michael, Jun 12, 2003.

1. I know dryness is the fear, but how wet is too wet? My music room hit 86% today. The strings were sweating. That's too wet. I've got a dehumidifier running now and the humidity is down to 78%. I've heard 35-40% bandied about as the lower limit, but no one speaks much of an upper one. Anybody?

Jeff

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I think a max of about 60% is a good target. You don't want mushrooms growing in the bass. Keep in mind, though, that the worst damage that can occur is a result of losing humidity quickly. For example, you play a rainy outdoor gig, then put your bass in a meat freezer at zero degrees and ten percent humidity. You'd probably get a crack or pop some seams. Volunteers?

Barrie Kolstien has an article on humidity in the new Double Bassist magazine. I haven't read the whole thing yet, but I concur with his opening statement that winter 2002-3 was the worst year in memory for bass problems, due to extreme climatic conditions.

If you do a really damp outdoor gig, you might want to be careful taking a good bass right into an air-conditioned environment. Think about ways to transition the bass slowly, no matter the season.