how i installed my quarterpounder

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xrosslobsterx, Aug 1, 2001.

1. xrosslobsterx

Aug 1, 2001
    you know I never even soldered when I installed a new basslines quarter pounder in my fender p-bass special, I just crimped the wires from the new pick up to the wires of the old pickup that were already soldered to the pot. it works fine, but is this bad for my bass?
  2. How to install a quarterpounder ? heheh.. simple.. go to Mc.Donalds, order one and enjoy ;D

nah.. just kidding.. uhm.. should work fine, but
    i think it's even better to weld the wires from the pickups directly to the pot itself, but it won't hurt if you use the old wires too, as long as you remember to shield the welding ofcourse :)
  3. I think you meant to say solder. Not weld. But you go the right idea. to shield it you could use what I think is called shrink wrap. It shrinks when you apply heat. Great stuff. Electricians use it all the time. Get some at a hardware store.
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    or you could use electrical tape. slightly easier to use and just as effective. no heat necessary.
  5. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I did the same thing with some Model Js in my MIM standard, and I haven't seen any problems, probably did that about a year ago? Can't remember exactly, but it has been a while.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The connections should be soldered.

~ Bonnie Solder (Remember him? Bani Sadr?)
  7. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Oh Munji-dude! [​IMG][​IMG]

Solder sleeves are pretty nifty :)...heat shrink and solder in one!
    All ya' need's a heat gun (hair dryer'll work in a pinch ;) )