Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How I spent almost $200 for a used bass effect pedal, or you think your day was bad.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Little Marc, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Here it goes for anyone who will listen. I have been eyeing up a Zoom Multi Effect Pedal at my local Sam Ash for a while. It runs between 70 and 80 bucks. I'm not a professional bass player so for the dough, it makes a lot of cool sounds and that's all I really need.
    Mistake Number 1 coming at you so Pay Attention...
    I thought I'd try and save a few bucks LOL and see what I could find on Ebay. Ah look at that... here is one for the low low bidding price of $30 in "Like New" condition. Cool bidding starts at 30 and I end up at $50 by the end of it. But I'm still 20 maybe 30 ahead of the game right?
    A week goes by and my pedal arrives in the factory box! All papers in tact! Sweet. I put batteries in and nothing happens. I use an AC adapter from another piece of equipment and it goes on. Great! Plug in the Bass and the left pedal doesn't work. I take the whole thing apart and get it working, annoyed at the fact that it's not "Like New" as promised. I have everything working now so I'm not going to ship it back, but I need a AC adapter for it now.
    Off to Radio Shack. 13 bucks later I'm walking out the door with my new AC adaptor that will surely be that last expense! As I get back to my car (Mind you I was gone for about 4 minutes) It's on the back of a tow truck! It seems that the local towing company has a nice little scam worked out, where they trap you with bad signage, and tow you (all legal I might add). I got so pissed that they called the cops. Nothing happened but a firm talking to for being angry at the folks who set me up. I had some choice words for them. It cost me another $100 for the towing company and a round of drinks for the friends that picked me up.
    All told it cost me about $190 savings of -110 to -120. Next time I go retail!
    I'd like personally apologize to Sam Ash. I will never go behind your back again!

Little Marc
    :mad:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hell that's nothing! I could tell you about the concert $8.50 concert that ended up costing $258.50, plus $2 toll, but I still have a shred of dignity left.

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That does suck. Ticks you off that the towing company has a scam going on. Seems like greed drives everyone nowadays. :rolleyes:

Definatley a good idea to get an AC for your Zoom. I have a model 506 and batteries might last for 15 minutes in it, if I'm lucky.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, no, do tell!

:D

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "Instant karma's gonna get you ..." ~ John Lennon

6. I hate bad signage. I went for a job interview in a poshie area of town, i parked outside a house, came back to see a $45 parking ticket because it was no standing. I look around for a sign.. couldn't find one... so i drove up and down only to find on AROUND THE CORNER. So i wrote a letter of complaint. get a phonecall.. 'our "technicians" have surveyed the site and say that the sign is very visible"

*expletives deleted*

:D:D

Merls

7. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Humor?
    Gig?
    Effects forum?

nah, MISCELLANEOUS you go! have a nice day!

:)

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's even worse when you get tickets for not doing anything wrong. On my street you have to have a parking permit or else you get a ticket. one day my roommate comes home to discover he has two tickets on his windshield. The first ticket was for not having a parking permit, even though he did have a parking permit. The second was for not having a registration sticker, even though he did have a registration sticker. So he goes down to city hall and they turn over the registration sticker ticket right there, but say he has to go to court for the parking permit ticket. But he has class on the court date they give him so he ends up not being able to go. So in the end he has to pay a $30 ticket for parking legally, not to mention the time and frustration wasted with the city. How retarded is that?