Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How I won the Jazz Ensemble War

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'm in a Jazz Ensemble at school. It's really fun and educational and I enjoy it very much. Some of our musicians are fantastic and are heading towards music degrees in college.

However, the Ensemble is what is called a "Frankenstein" Jazz Ensemble, i.e. instruments are not assigned, you enter the Ensemble already having acquired "basic proficiency." Also, no one who has acquired basic proficiency is denied.

This means we get a strange mix of instruments. Our horn section consists of two alto saxes, two tenor saxes, a trumpet, a flute, and an electric violin (yup, 1 brass).

We also have 5 pianists, 2 drummers, 3 bassists...

and 8 guitarists.

4 of these guitarists are wonderful. They're extremely friendly, they tear it up on stage, they're funny, and they never stop telling me how greatful they are to have a good bassist (I'm not trying to brag, you'll see why this is important later) in their jazz ensemble.

The other 4 are completely dispicable. They never stop telling me how bad I am, how I should not be allowed to solo, and their terrible guitarists.

They are afraid of me because I show 'em up. I do better guitar solos on bass then they do on guitar, when I actually do a bass solo, they get no props. This is why they fear me. Your guitarists probably fear you too.

This particular group was unresponsive. Thus, I finally decided that I would just stop playing for them. No more walking during their solo, no more keeping track of time, nothing. They don't even know what key they're supposed to be in without my help

The insults stopped immediatly.

Moral: I learned from this experience that the bassist is the most essential element of any band (exaggeration: bands which play extremely easy music don't need bassists, and if you have an extremely talented keyboardist, you don't really need a bassist either). We are the glue that keeps the rhythm, harmony, and time together. Without us, the rest of the band is nothing.

2. good job. No one should be an A-hole, and if they are, you should be one too

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    kudos mudflaps!

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    No, in my band we all have an equal respect for each other, and we know what everyone "brings to the table" so to speak. Sometimes we'll be writing a new song together and one of them will be playing somthing and say, this would probably be really cool as a bass solo, and I'll try it out. I do the same for them. I'm very thankful to be fortunate enough to play with people that are both talented and mature about the music we do. Sometimes that's a hard thing to find. Also, stay strong in that Jazz group, and good luck.

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thats really cool, The people I play with I've known for about 6 years, I knew them through High School band, Orchestra, so we all know and respect what an instrument is capable of...

On a Side note, if your into classical... Boston Pop's... Flight of the Tuba Bee :smug: