Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How I'm spending my spring break.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Mar 17, 2005.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    (WARNING: Graphic dead animal pics below)

I work at a school so I still get spring break. I'm out at my ranch and today I went out hog hunting. Yesterday my boxer, Roxie, chased some feral hogs while we were out on a walk. I'd seen lots of signs so I figured my chances were good today. First I was stalking a small herd of hogs that I could barely see through some thick scrub I was trying to get where I could get a clear shot on them but some cows that were nearby got spooked by me and started running and that spooked the hogs. I had an easy shot on one who was standing there but he was small and I was looking for one of the bigger ones that I knew had to be in there. Well I was running around trying to chase them and the cord on my earplugs got caught on a tree and so I lost those temporarily. I couldn't tell which way the hogs went because by now the whole herd of cows was stampeding through the woods. I tried to figure out which way they went so I took my best guess and started walking that way. I came to a gully about 100 yards away and spooked a big boar who took off running. I shot him on the move with my Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag revolver (Shooting 200 gr cast bullets) at about 35 yards. First shot went into his upper back and exited the other side. That slowed him down but didn't stop him. By this time I'd run up to about 15 yards away and shot him again in the head and that put him down. I figure he weighs about 180lbs or so. Not the biggest in the world but not bad.

[​IMG]

Shoulda taken a pic longways but I didn't think of it. It was hard enough taking the pics by myself! He was about 5 feet from tip of nose to butt. One bad thing was that my earplugs were still hanging in a tree 100yards away when I shot so now my ears feel a little stopped up.

Maybe I'll get some more tomorrow. We're also planning on trying to get some coyotes as they're getting too populated around here and they've taken some calves lately. Adult spring break rules.

brad cook

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Cool, I would have been scared to go with a .357, but it looks like it got the job done.

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

+1

I'd feel a lot better with a .41 Mag or .44 Mag. Or better.

One of my buddies at work routinely uses a .30-30. A couple other guys I know used to use a .45-70 and a .444 Marlin.

Don't know that I'd prefer to shoot a deer with a .357, much less a hog. Especially since they bite!

More power to you and great job!

dcr

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    .357 mag is my gun of choice for hog hunting. It's a lot of fun. I used to use a 12 gauge (since most of the shots out here are pretty close due to thick trees and scrub) but pistol is more fun and easier to carry and maneuver. You just have to use the right ammo...heavy cast loads cut through hogs like a knife through butter. I'd probably use a .44 mag if I had one.

brad cook

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've never heard of hog hunting-do you eat them?

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Woo Hoo, Bacon for everyone!!

Nice shooting Tex. :)

7. I wish a conservative animal rights activist would come in here and really stir things up! :D
    Just kidding. If I still lived in Arkansas maybe I would have taken up hunting looks like fun. as long as you eat the damn thing :hyper:

8. I've gotta say, you're no slouch with a .357 there. Nice hunting!

9. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Dude, share some of that bacon with your bass brothers!

Also, I'm terribly sorry to have to say this, but you appear to be Phil Hellmuth. :meh:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's really pretty popular. Some people eat them and some don't. I sometimes eat the sows. The boars are tougher and the meat isn't as good. Before anyone gets mad about killing animals and leaving them you need to know a few things. Feral hogs are not considered game animals like deer or birds etc... They are nonnative..an introduced species that severely tears up the land and affects the local ecosystem. They don't belong. They drive away the native species, they raid the nests of native turkeys and eat the eggs, they can tear up land like you wouldn't believe. You should see our ranch compared to how it used to be 10 years ago. It's now filled with hog roots and wallows just about everywhere you look. They are an all-around nuisance. It's driving many state and county wildlife experts batty trying to control the population and it's hurting a lot of farmers. So basically it helps everyone to shoot them on sight. Not that we'll ever get rid of them...the sows have two litters of young a year with 8-10 pigs per litter so you can see the problem that poses. There is no "season" on hogs. They can be killed year around. We kill them when we see them (I pretty much always carry my .357 when I'm out on the land) and it just so happens that they are pretty exciting to hunt so sometimes we make an effort to go out and find them. So, personally I just wouldn't have room to keep the meat of all the hogs we kill out here. I know a guy in Texas who's already killed about 80 hogs in his area THIS YEAR ALONE. He knows more hog recipes than I know recipes period.

It would never even cross my mind to leave an animal like deer or turkey without taking the meat. Those are fun to hunt but I hunt them for food. I got a nice big turkey last year and it was yummy...I hope to get another one in April. If there is an animal whose meat I do not enjoy I do not hunt it. That's why I stopped hunting squirrels. A couple of those and I was done. The hogs are a whole other thing...although the meat of a sow is mighty tasty. Anyone who has a problem with not taking the meat truly does not understand the current situation with hogs in Texas and some other states. I've heard they're spreading north so if your state currently doesn't have a problem with them that might possibly change over the next 20 years for some states.

brad cook

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Who dat?

I do look kinda weird in that picture.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

See my above commentary on not eating some hogs. Believe me when I say I respect life and I don't kill and leave any other animal (except coyotes when they start to get outta hand). Trying to keep the hog population down is just another part of managing the local wildlife.

brad cook

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm not much of a hunter, love to shoot, too busy fly fishing to hunt. But I appeciate the meat, enjoyed some caribou tonight! Congratulations! You should have a Hog roast for the Texas TB'ers, a little bit out of my neck of the woods but a great excuse to pork out!

14. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Hellmuth is a world-class poker player. But he's kind of a jerk.

[​IMG]

15. He is a jerk.

John Myung beats his ass in a poker face stare-off any day...

:cool:

Congrats on your pig Brad.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

Sounds like people ( half :p , half true)

17. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Nice one, Brad!!! I'm still trying to get out on a hog hunt.. There aren't any in northern KY. Have to travel a few hours to find any.

What type of hard cast bullets are you using there? LBT's? Keiths? Looks like fun.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    LBTs from Cor-bon. I'm not typically a big Cor-bon fan but I'm liking these. I've also used the 180 gr Federal Castcore ammo with great results. At one point I went over to some 180gr SJHPs because the cast bullets go through and through every time and I was wondering if I needed that much penetration. I wasn't getting as good results with the SJHPs though so I went back to cast. Through and through is really the best thing for these hogs.

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok. The difference between us though is that I typically only wear sunglasses when I'm actually in the sun. :smug:

brad cook

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Here's another pic of the pig. Not that great but you can see it a little better. The pigs around here tend to have more prominent european characteristics than the ones I've seen from some of the other places in the south, which tend to look a little more domesticated.

[​IMG]

brad cook